Question MY MOTHER BOARD IS COMPATIBLE WITH A VIDEO CARD WITH 6GB OF MEMORY +?

willcovero

Prominent
Jun 30, 2018
Hello everyone!
I have a problem: I would like to use VR and currently I have a video card on my computer that has 3GB of RAM, its name is: AMD Radeon R9 200 Series and I know that I would be able to play VR with this video card.
So I wanted to know what kind of more powerful video cards my motherboard could support: its name is H81-GAMER; I have an Intel Core I5 4460 processor.
Thanks to those who will answer me !!!

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
What GPU were you considering?

All I meant was "6GB of VRAM" does not make a card 'good', necessarily

For example, older 780 and Titan's have 6GB of VRAM. A 6GB GTX 1060 has (shock) 6GB, a 980TI does too.... a 1660, 1660 TI and RTX 2060 all have 6GB....

Thanks for the reply! Since you say that not every GPU is the same, I don't know what to consider?

What you should consider first and foremost is your budget - how much you are willing to spend on the GPU. That in itself will often lead you to a good enough conclusion. If you are not sure about your budget, then consider your expectations - what resolution and detail settings do you want to play at, what FPS do you want and what kind of games do you play? Are you a casual gamer or a competitive gamer? Answering these questions will help us a lot in recommending GPU's to you.

willcovero

Prominent
Jun 30, 2018
What GPU were you considering?

All I meant was "6GB of VRAM" does not make a card 'good', necessarily

For example, older 780 and Titan's have 6GB of VRAM. A 6GB GTX 1060 has (shock) 6GB, a 980TI does too.... a 1660, 1660 TI and RTX 2060 all have 6GB....

Thanks for the reply! Ok now I understand what you meant .. I would like a GPU that allows me to play with VR without any problems and I wouldn't want to spend so much, so among those you said before what would you recommend?

willcovero

Prominent
Jun 30, 2018
What you should consider first and foremost is your budget - how much you are willing to spend on the GPU. That in itself will often lead you to a good enough conclusion. If you are not sure about your budget, then consider your expectations - what resolution and detail settings do you want to play at, what FPS do you want and what kind of games do you play? Are you a casual gamer or a competitive gamer? Answering these questions will help us a lot in recommending GPU's to you.

Thanks for the reply! I would like VR for fun, not for competition.
I also don't want to spend over € 300-350

If there's no real budget you have in mind, a GTX 1070 would be the least I would recommend for VR, because you need very stable FPS for a good VR experience. A GTX 1660 Ti will probably also suffice, since it has close to 1070-like performance. If you can go for a higher end GPU, by all means go ahead and get an RTX 2060 or 2070, they will offer a great VR experience. Do remember you also need a pretty costly VR headset, so spend accordingly.

willcovero

Prominent
Jun 30, 2018
If there's no real budget you have in mind, a GTX 1070 would be the least I would recommend for VR, because you need very stable FPS for a good VR experience. A GTX 1660 Ti will probably also suffice, since it has close to 1070-like performance. If you can go for a higher end GPU, by all means go ahead and get an RTX 2060 or 2070, they will offer a great VR experience. Do remember you also need a pretty costly VR headset, so spend accordingly.

Ok, I'll think about what you told me!
Thank you!

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Yes, same rules apply.

Board supports any modern, PCIE-based GPU.

Similarly, "8GB" GPUs vary. A 2070 or 2080 is an 8GB card, as is a 1070 and some RX580s and 570s. All various levels of performance.

Depending on your specific location in Europe, a 1070 might be available - but a 2060 or 1660TI (6GB cards) would probably be more readily available.
The only "8GB" card that would be within budget (i expect) would be an RX580 8GB model - and that's a substantially weaker card than a 2060 or 1660TI.