My motherboard CPU power pin is broken! Please help :(

HiThereSir

Honorable
Sep 5, 2013
Hello people of the world!

My motherboard is a Gigabyte Z77 UD3H.

(Returning the MoBo is out of the question. The warranty has past and I dont have the budget)

I was building a computer and doing a pretest. I plugged in my cpu fan (cooler master hyper n520) to the cpu fan power pin on the motherboard (those 3 metal rods?) It did not work. Assuming that it was the motherboard's problem, I plugged the cpu fan into one of the system fan power pins on the motherboard (the pins mean't to power fans in your computer case) and the cpu fan worked fine! How here's where it gets complicated. I am worried that since I plugged it into a power pin not intended for the cpu fan, the mobo will not be able to give the right amount of juice to my cpu fan when my cpu needs the cooling. Will it be alright?

Solution
The problem is that the BIOS will be unable to control the fan in response to heat and that you also have no CPU protection....the BIOS cant tell if you have a fan failure and shit down the system because the protection system to detect CPU fan failure has been turned off.

Normally, a BIOS will prevent the system from booting if CPU fan not plugged in or rpm too low
The problem is that the BIOS will be unable to control the fan in response to heat and that you also have no CPU protection....the BIOS cant tell if you have a fan failure and shit down the system because the protection system to detect CPU fan failure has been turned off.

Normally, a BIOS will prevent the system from booting if CPU fan not plugged in or rpm too low

Solution