My motherboard didn't come with standoffs for the cpu cooler

andrei.vernon

Prominent
Dec 29, 2017
I am building a new pc and my motherboard didn't come with standoffs for my CPU cooler, so I can't screw it in. The cooler is a ryzen wraith cooler and my motherboard is a b350m gaming pro. What do I do?

Solution

That is certainly not how it should have come. Those brackets are to be attached to a backplate. Sounds like yours ship without one. Return for a motherboard with the proper parts. Sounds like a used product, vice new.

You sure it just doesn't snap in? Which one are we talking about here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMn-9V3WbCw

AMD%20Ryzen%207%20Press%20Deck-19.jpg

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Those screw into the backplate already attached to the AM4 motherboard. Just press down with a screwdriver to compress the spring a bit until the screw makes contact with the backplate. Tighten in a criss-cross pattern, a little at a time until all four a snug. No additional stand-offs are used.

COLGeek

Cybernaut

For the OP, you remove the plastic brackets shown in this picture and then mount the heatsink as I mentioned earlier. Only the Wraith Max uses those brackets, the other 2 variants do not.

andrei.vernon

Prominent
Dec 29, 2017
My problem is that those standoffs the black brackets were screwed into didn't come with the motherboard. I got the brackets, but they weren't screwed in because there was nothing to screw them in. I am considering sending the mobo back and just getting a new one. I don't know what else to do.

COLGeek

Cybernaut

That is certainly not how it should have come. Those brackets are to be attached to a backplate. Sounds like yours ship without one. Return for a motherboard with the proper parts. Sounds like a used product, vice new.

Solution