[SOLVED] My motherboard has a 10 pin usb header and case has standard 9 pin

Dec 6, 2020
I recently got a cupertino 3 motherboard from a HP Pro 3500 mid tower. I just slapped it into a case I had and hooked everything up. To my surprise there were mostly standard connectors except for the usb 2.0 headers. They are a strange 10 pin header that I haven't seen before. I just figured the 9th pin in standard case headers are nothing anyway so I just hooked it up with the 8 pins that are available and left the 2 outside pins out. This works except you can only use one of the usbs on the case at a time. When you try to use both one of them fails.

Is there an adapter I need to use or has anyone come across this before and have any insight on what is happening for me to better understand the issue. I would like to be able to use both of the usb 2.0 on the front of the case but now that doesn't seem like it is a possibility. Like I said any insight here would be much appreciated.

Here is the motherboard I am using:

91FE0Hilf7L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

And here is the standard usb connector that is on my case used for the front panel usb 2.0

05M-Stackable-Dual-USB-2.0-A-Type-Female-to-Motherboard-9-Pin-Header-Cable-with-Screw-Panel-Holes.jpg

Solution
I recently got a cupertino 3 motherboard from a HP Pro 3500 mid tower. I just slapped it into a case I had and hooked everything up. To my surprise there were mostly standard connectors except for the usb 2.0 headers. They are a strange 10 pin header that I haven't seen before. I just figured the 9th pin in standard case headers are nothing anyway so I just hooked it up with the 8 pins that are available and left the 2 outside pins out. This works except you can only use one of the usbs on the case at a time. When you try to use both one of them fails.

Is there an adapter I need to use or has anyone come across this before and have any insight on what is happening for me to better understand the issue. I would like to be...

Is there an adapter I need to use or has anyone come across this before and have any insight on what is happening for me to better understand the issue. I would like to be able to use both of the usb 2.0 on the front of the case but now that doesn't seem like it is a possibility. Like I said any insight here would be much appreciated.

And here is the standard usb connector that is on my case used for the front panel usb 2.0

05M-Stackable-Dual-USB-2.0-A-Type-Female-to-Motherboard-9-Pin-Header-Cable-with-Screw-Panel-Holes.jpg

Another reason I don't like working on OEM MBs from brand name computer makers, they always have to do "something special" to force you to use their parts.
Normal USB1/2 uses 4pins in one row for each channel with 9th pin as a locator so you can't insert it wrong way. 9th pin has no other function.
I'm also stumped by 10 pins but there's clearly a space where 9th pin should be. Both channels on both headers should work even without those 2 other pins.

Reactions: jckinswo
Solution
May 13, 2022
Another reason I don't like working on OEM MBs from brand name computer makers, they always have to do "something special" to force you to use their parts.
Normal USB1/2 uses 4pins in one row for each channel with 9th pin as a locator so you can't insert it wrong way. 9th pin has no other function.
I'm also stumped by 10 pins but there's clearly a space where 9th pin should be. Both channels on both headers should work even without those 2 other pins.

Thanks! This was a big help in understanding why I couldn't find a "generic" cable for a couple of Lenovos I'm messing around with. In this regard, Lenovo did HP one "better", they use a 12(!) pin (with one as a key) connector on their USB 2 headers. Someday I'll have to look at Dell's equivalent and see what they used (14, 16...maybe???). I'm trying to install a Lenovo pcie 1x riser card (03T8168) w/a 2230 mini pcie wifi/bt that has a standard 5 pin power connector on the card. No cable came with the card and it took a while to find the right Lenovo FRU (03T6556) for it. Tried searching for a 3rd party equivalent to bypass Lenovo's $18 ea and for the most part, the same or higher on ebay etc. but nope. Now I understand why. Thanks! It's back to the one supplier w/a decent price but whose s/h takes a big hunk out of those savings.