Question My motherboard is bottle necking the speed of my RAM, and I feel like a need a new one in general.

Apr 18, 2022
I custom built this PC a year or so ago and since then I have upgraded a handful of parts. The pc started with the specs B365m Ds3h(micro atx) , I3-9100k, 8gb ram (idk the specifics) 250gb ssd, rtx 970ti, 450 watt evga power supply, along side a 60hz monitor. But it has over time become B365m Ds3h (micro atx), I7-9700kf, 32gb 3600 c18 Ram, MSI rtx 980. 250gb ssd + 1tb hard drive. 165hz 1080p monitor 600 watt evga power supply. After further research I found that the ram I upgraded too was being bottlenecked at 2667mhz, while it is intended to be 3600. I do not know much at all when it comes to motherboards, and I was hoping to change out my motherboard to one that would allow me to keep my current specs but allow me to use xmp and uncap my ram. Also any other suggestions to upgrading the build under 500$ would be much appreciated.

Please let me know if an upgrade is needed, or if an upgrade would be overkill.

RAM speed and motherboard changes aren't going to make a night and day difference in anything unless you have a very unusual use case or something is outright defective or incompatible.

Most important "speed" factor remains the CPU.

What you can do depends on your level of dissatisfaction and how much you want to spend.

We don't know your budget.

Regarding motherboards, you say "I feel like a need a new one in general". That can be very powerful. Turning that feeling off may be difficult. But we don't know your hopes or expectations in any detail.

Maybe you would feel a lot better just by knowing you could run your RAM at a different speed, regardless of any measurable performance increase? If that's true, do it. You've upgraded a lot of stuff in the last year. Why be unhappy?

Apr 18, 2022
Simply put, I am new to pc building. Does the missing 1k mhz of ram make a significant difference? Rather would it be worth an upgrade? I don't have a strict budget for the upgrade, though under 400 would be nice. How much of an impact would getting a better motherboard than the b365m Ds3h make? Sorry for asking a lot of questions, I've got to learn more about this somehow lol. Furthermore I am contempt with how my PC runs as of now, I looked into the bottle neck, and I just thought it was worth a research.

Simply put, I am new to pc building. Does the missing 1k mhz of ram make a significant difference? Rather would it be worth an upgrade?

How much of an impact would getting a better motherboard than the b365m Ds3h make?

Furthermore I am contempt with how my PC runs as of now......

Regarding the first paragraph....it may make a "significant difference" in the way you feel about the PC. You may feel better personally just from knowing you are at least trying SOMETHING. It may make some difference in some benchmark.

Are those things your motivation?

If not, what is? General anxiety with the current state of affairs? Or?

Are you unhappy with a specific task that you can't do fast enough? What task? Would 65 seconds rather than 66 be enough motivation? Are you measuring anything?

Regarding the second paragraph......impact on what? As measured by what? Pretty much the same answer as for the first paragraph. We don't know the source or extent or reason for your dissatisfaction other than "feelings" about RAM and motherboard.

Regarding your third paragraph... I don't understand the usage of "contempt" in that phrase. Do you mean "contemptuous"? That's a very strong feeling to have about a machine. Maybe you can explain.

Apr 18, 2022
I miss used contempt in that sentence entirely, I should have used alright. I much like my computer, and I have no issues with its running capabilities. That being said, I like to play games such as rust, in which on a majority of servers I can run a maximum of 70 frames per second on what is considered to be the "best" performance settings. From what I have read rust is a RAM and CPU heavy game, and since a CPU upgrade is fairly expensive from the I7-9700kf, fixing the bottleneck on my RAM sounded like a much better solution. By impact I meant on my frame rate in games like rust, that I can only get a maximum of 70 fps, while I would definitely prefer more fps. Potentially the problem with a higher frame rate is left in my GPU, for it is a 900 series. Hopefully that narrows down my feelings for the computer.

I miss used contempt in that sentence entirely, I should have used alright. I much like my computer, and I have no issues with its running capabilities. That being said, I like to play games such as rust, in which on a majority of servers I can run a maximum of 70 frames per second on what is considered to be the "best" performance settings. From what I have read rust is a RAM and CPU heavy game, and since a CPU upgrade is fairly expensive from the I7-9700kf, fixing the bottleneck on my RAM sounded like a much better solution. By impact I meant on my frame rate in games like rust, that I can only get a maximum of 70 fps, while I would definitely prefer more fps. Potentially the problem with a higher frame rate is left in my GPU, for it is a 900 series. Hopefully that narrows down my feelings for the computer.
Free stuff.
Spend a little time getting the proper bios and mobo/gpu drivers.
Turn off unneeded background stuff.

If best performance settings means the eye candy is set on max turn it down a notch and see what happens to the fps.