[SOLVED] My Motherboard is Dead AGAIN

jordanblaze

Distinguished
May 18, 2014
I've had a motherboard die on me in the past which was the one o have since i built ny pc December 2017 it barely lasted 5 months when it dies i thought it was the PSU. BUt it was indeed the motherboard so i replaced it with a new one!, this one however only lasted about a year sadly. So my question is what is the causing my Motherboards to die?! Is it my PSU, overclock, or what?!
Specs:
Ram:some cheap crucial 2x8gb
Cpu:ryzen 3 1200
Mobo:eek:ld one: asus prime b350e new one:asrock b350m-hdv
Psu:EVGA 5002 80 plus white
Gpu: rx 560

Solution
1.5V is really, really high. You shouldn't be going much over 1.4V for regular use. And even that is mostly with higher-end motherboards with more stability for overclocking. And you should really never overclock on a low-quality power supply; it's the equivalent of having a heart problem and running a marathon. You're most likely murdering your motherboards.

jordanblaze

Distinguished
May 18, 2014
What i just realised this morning is when i press the pwr button the led's ike the led on the power button and fan led's flash once then nothing happens. This is a day after i cleared cmos and all the other mobo recovery steps. Could this be a sign that the that's it's the psu this time and not the motherboard? The fans attempt to spin to

Was the computer plugged into the same outlet as the one that killed the last motherboard? I really don't know how common/possible it is, but maybe you have a faulty outlet or home wiring.

You should probably get a surge protector if you aren't using one already.

jordanblaze

Distinguished
May 18, 2014
I am using a surge protector yes the same outlet. I guess the best thing to do is to get a new motherboard, better quality psu and surge protector. But the power didn't go off that night. I also did the psu test with a paper and a fan it worked, but that doesn't mean its fully functional.

DSzymborski

Titan
1.5V is really, really high. You shouldn't be going much over 1.4V for regular use. And even that is mostly with higher-end motherboards with more stability for overclocking. And you should really never overclock on a low-quality power supply; it's the equivalent of having a heart problem and running a marathon. You're most likely murdering your motherboards.

Solution

jordanblaze

Distinguished
May 18, 2014
Damn "murdering" hit me hard. But that makes the most sense that's what i will assumed that happened. I shall buy a new motherboard and not oc untill i get a better psu or not oc at all

DSzymborski

Titan
Damn "murdering" hit me hard. But that makes the most sense that's what i will assumed that happened. I shall buy a new motherboard and not oc untill i get a better psu or not oc at all

It's not certain, but it's quite likely, especially with most of the easier solutions looked at. That's a lot of voltage and certainly a LOT of voltage to only get to 3.6 GHz. Remember, CPUs in the base tier aren't chosen for their ability to overclock well. You won't hit the silicon lottery on many Ryzen 1200s because the ones with only four suitable cores that clock well are going to tend to be binned as 1300x CPUs. Cranking up the voltage doesn't get around this issue!

jordanblaze

Distinguished
May 18, 2014
It's not certain, but it's quite likely, especially with most of the easier solutions looked at. That's a lot of voltage and certainly a LOT of voltage to only get to 3.6 GHz. Remember, CPUs in the base tier aren't chosen for their ability to overclock well. You won't hit the silicon lottery on many Ryzen 1200s because the ones with only four suitable cores that clock well are going to tend to be binned as 1300x CPUs. Cranking up the voltage doesn't get around this issue!
Noted, probably should've researched looked up a oc guide for it sooner or left it. It not certain yes but one thing i will say is on the old board i had it oc'd to 3.9 at 1.8 much higher than this one so that's probably why this one lasted longer

DSzymborski

Titan
1.8! That should never be happening. I definitely would recommend you not overclock until you sit down and really read up on the process. I know it's hard to say this without sounding jerky, but I rather you be slightly offended and not having to keep buying stuff than being unoffended and losing money left and right!

jordanblaze

Distinguished
May 18, 2014
Trust me i'm not offended. I'm just little more pissed at myself. Oh and another thing does overclocking the gpu affect mobo as well?The next motherboard will be a little more exspensive with some sorta vrm cooling and so on for the future.

Last edited: