[SOLVED] My motherboard is overheating

qensyd

Commendable
Aug 21, 2020
I have an ASUS M5A78L-M LE/USB3 motherboard with an AMD FX-8350 processor. I tried to overclock my cpu from the stock 4.00Ghz to 4.2Ghz. After it, I ran a stess-test and my cpu was running on a constant 4.0Ghz, but it was around 55C all the time, after like 2-3 minutes I got a blue screen, and my pc restarted. I got into the BIOS again and got my cpu back to 4.0Ghz. Then I did another stess-test, and I saw that my motherboard is on 60C and it just kept going towards 65C in like 15sec, after it my cpu's clock speed dropped to 1.5-1.7Ghz and I stopped the stess-test. What could be the problem?

Solution
Yea, I might sell my full pc with my old gpu, and buy a completely new one with a b450 motherboard and with a ryzen 3 3100, because it's not too expensive and can run with my 1650 super
I think you are wise to consider dumping your FX-8350 rig.
It is all but obsolete as a gaming processor.
The single thread performance is poor, with a passmark rating of 1565.
The r3-3100 would be an upgrade with a rating of 2442.
I don't know that I would buy an older gen B450 based motherboard.
You will need DDR4 ram.
A 2 x 8gb kit will be about $50 for 2666 speed.
Ryzen depends on fast ram for performance so plan on something higher..

But, consider a current gen intel instead.
The $110 intel i3-10100 would be a stronger gaming upgrade with a...
I have an ASUS M5A78L-M LE/USB3 motherboard with an AMD FX-8350 processor. I tried to overclock my cpu from the stock 4.00Ghz to 4.2Ghz. After it, I ran a stess-test and my cpu was running on a constant 4.0Ghz, but it was around 55C all the time, after like 2-3 minutes I got a blue screen, and my pc restarted. I got into the BIOS again and got my cpu back to 4.0Ghz. Then I did another stess-test, and I saw that my motherboard is on 60C and it just kept going towards 65C in like 15sec, after it my cpu's clock speed dropped to 1.5-1.7Ghz and I stopped the stess-test. What could be the problem?
No wonder, that MB doesn't have any cooling for VRM which is weak anyway, Don't push 8350 on it. It's just not OC material.

DSzymborski

Titan
The problem is your equipment. Cheap AM3+ motherboards are notorious for running 125W CPUs horribly, to the degree that many will struggle to run them at stock and many other motherboards will fail prematurely. You're almost certainly pushing the VRMs to the brink; unless this is just old equipment you're just overclocking for fun, the best thing to do is to just stop trying to overclock and be happy that stock settings haven't sent the motherboard up to silicon heaven.

qensyd

Commendable
Aug 21, 2020
So I tried it with a fan directly to my motherboard and it didn't help. Although I could disable AMD's cool & quiet feature, but I don't know if I would kill my motherboard with it.

qensyd

Commendable
Aug 21, 2020

DSzymborski

Titan
So if I add heatsinks to my VRM, will it help my cpu to not drop the clock speed? (in your opinion)

It may, but you'll still be plagued with a basic problem of an anemic VRM configuration.

The best solution on such an old motherboard, if you want to keep having that old motherboard, is to be conservative. Again, this is a budget board and the benefits you get aren't likely to be much, especially for gaming. You're essentially asking how to mod your little hatchback so that it can pull a trailer; there are some real limits to what you can do.

Reactions: CountMike

qensyd

Commendable
Aug 21, 2020
My motherboard support cpu's up to 125W, I don't know if it is . When the temperatures of my motherboard are good, it can utilize 100% of my cpu, so I guess I'll try to add some heatsinks soon, see if it helps, at least a bit.

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Titan
My motherboard support cpu's up to 125W, I don't know if it is . When the temperatures of my motherboard are good, it can utilize 100% of my cpu, so I guess I'll try to add some heatsinks soon, see if it helps, at least a bit.

The support means simply that it it's functionally compatible, not that it is a good idea. We get endless problems here with cheap AM3+ motherboards that "support" 125W CPUs throttling even under stock settings and dying early. I would never recommend a board like this for running a 125W CPU, let alone overclocking. It's your hardware and your risk, of course.

Reactions: CountMike

qensyd

Commendable
Aug 21, 2020
Yea, I might sell my full pc with my old gpu, and buy a completely new one with a b450 motherboard and with a ryzen 3 3100, because it's not too expensive and can run with my 1650 super

You will need DDR4 ram.

The $110 intel i3-10100 would be a stronger gaming upgrade with a single thread rating of 2649.
It will run on any lga1200 motherboard. About $70 buys you one.
2666 speed ram is fine.

Here is a review:
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-i3-10100/15.html

Solution

qensyd

Commendable
Aug 21, 2020
You will need DDR4 ram.

The $110 intel i3-10100 would be a stronger gaming upgrade with a single thread rating of 2649.
It will run on any lga1200 motherboard. About $70 buys you one.
2666 speed ram is fine.

Here is a review:
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-i3-10100/15.html
Yes, I see. These cpus have almost the same price as well. But I might wait for the ryzen 4000 cpus, see if it does something with the prices. Also, because I have my "final exams" now, I will do the change at winter, most likely. If I can do. The system will cost 100-110k Ft and I can sell my system for 60-70k Ft, so I have to make some money first.

qensyd

Commendable
Aug 21, 2020
Quick update: I downclocked my cpu to 3.4Ghz, I run a stess-test for 8-10mins and it's quiet stable. I have no drops now (I tested it with sekiro high preset for 15mins, while before I had like 7-8 drops to 20-30fps for 15-20secs in 15mins) so it will do it for me now, until I can do the upgrade. Surely I can't utilize my gpu more than 50-60%, so I'll need that upgrade, but I'm fine with it now.