[SOLVED] My motherboard reads the USB drive but I can't figure out how to boot from it

Dec 14, 2018
I just built my first PC and want to install Windows on it. I used my other PC to download the iso and put everything on the USB except the install.wim because it's too large for fat-32.
My specs are:
i5-9600k
ASUS prime Z370A
2x8gb Corsair vengeance ram 3600 MHz
MSI GTX 1070 ti Duke
MP300 SSD
2tb HDD
EVGA 700 GQ
H100i Pro RGB
2x corsair HD120

I formatted the USB to fat-32 like the website says but I couldn't copy everything because of the 4gb limit. Microsoft's website also says if you can't do that copy everything but the install.wim. My PC posts and shows me the American Megatrends page. It recognizes my USB drive, keyboard, and mouse. It says cpu fan error. Press F1 to continue setup. I less F1 then I can see my USB in the bottom right. I try rebooting and I tried pressing every key like esc, most function keys and del (individual reboots, not all at once) but still nothing. It just goes into the American Megatrends screen and says less F1 to continue setup. I even tried the default settings but still no luck. It's my first PC and I'm a bit worried. I also don't know what the CPU fan error is.

Solution
You need an 8gb usb stick for windows 10.
No idea with the fan thing... If it's spinning as fast as it should that's the only thing that really matters to load windows safely....
It could be it's not properly plugged in, or the fan sensor on the board is faulty, or a drama with the fan, or just a weird bios glitch, or the cpu not seated properly/bent pin.... A bunch of stuff
I wouldn't stress to much about that if the fan is cooling the cpu fine. It might resolve itself with the bios update you need to do, or with a few restarts... Just get windows on there and worry about the fan error later

jarodatkinson

Reputable
Oct 10, 2017
You need an 8gb usb stick for windows 10.
No idea with the fan thing... If it's spinning as fast as it should that's the only thing that really matters to load windows safely....
It could be it's not properly plugged in, or the fan sensor on the board is faulty, or a drama with the fan, or just a weird bios glitch, or the cpu not seated properly/bent pin.... A bunch of stuff
I wouldn't stress to much about that if the fan is cooling the cpu fine. It might resolve itself with the bios update you need to do, or with a few restarts... Just get windows on there and worry about the fan error later

Solution

jarodatkinson

Reputable
Oct 10, 2017

No.... You don't NEED to..... But I prefer to scan for bad sectors before using it for windows installations... I never do it otherwise....

Right - you don’t copy anything onto the stick. Need a blank stick and use media creation to do all the work.

Also, you’re probably not going to be able to boot into windows at all with a cpu fan error. Need to solve that. What is plugged into your cpu_fan header (pump, fans)?

TRENDING THREADS