[SOLVED] my motherboard won't turn off even with the power switch

Jun 27, 2019
So, 5 days ago i bought a asus motherboard. But, i've a problem. When i plug my power cables, the fan is turning on before i press the switch button (the fan is connected to the motherboard) but i must press the power button to boot my computer. And the fan (which is connected to the motherboard) wont turn off after i perform shutdown on windows and by holding the power switch too, but the hard drive stopped spinning after i perform shutdown. All i had to do is cut off the power cables.

My specs:
Intel Core i3-3240
Hynix 16GB DDR3 PC12800
Corsair VS450
Zotac GTX 750Ti 2GB
Asus H61M-C

Solution
If the connections are physically in place - that is one thing.

The next consideration would be, in my mind, some mismatched or defective connector - on a PSU cable or on the motherboard.

Verify and post which fan comes on before you turn on the computer's power switch?

And does not go off when the computer is powered down?

Which motherboard connector is that fan connected to?

Do you have the installation manual for the new Asus motherboard? What is the connector number on the motherboard where the fan is connected?

I found the following link:

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1155/H61M-C/E8215_H61M-C.pdf

Verify that that is the correct/matching User Guide for your motherboard.

If so, the Motherboard...

Ralston18

Titan
Which "fan is turning on" when the power cables are connected - CPU, GPU, or another fan?

If that is happening without the computer's power switch being pressed to "on" then there is likely some misconnection or wiring issue.

Start by doublechecking the PSU to motherboard connections using the Asus motherboard's User Guide/Manual.

Likewise doublecheck all other cable connections per the individual component's User Guides/Manuals.

Jun 27, 2019
Which "fan is turning on" when the power cables are connected - CPU, GPU, or another fan?

If that is happening without the computer's power switch being pressed to "on" then there is likely some misconnection or wiring issue.

Start by doublechecking the PSU to motherboard connections using the Asus motherboard's User Guide/Manual.

Likewise doublecheck all other cable connections per the individual component's User Guides/Manuals.
I don't think it was the wiring problem, because i've checked the connected psu cable and ive unplug the case front power switch cable. the result is same...

Ralston18

Titan
If the connections are physically in place - that is one thing.

The next consideration would be, in my mind, some mismatched or defective connector - on a PSU cable or on the motherboard.

Verify and post which fan comes on before you turn on the computer's power switch?

And does not go off when the computer is powered down?

Which motherboard connector is that fan connected to?

Do you have the installation manual for the new Asus motherboard? What is the connector number on the motherboard where the fan is connected?

I found the following link:

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1155/H61M-C/E8215_H61M-C.pdf

Verify that that is the correct/matching User Guide for your motherboard.

If so, the Motherboard layout is shown in Section 1.3.3, Pages 1-6, 1-7.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS