[SOLVED] My motherboard wont turn on

Jun 27, 2019
Today, i bought a motherboard (Asus H61M-C). I'm going to test it without a Processor and RAM. But, when i test it, the motherboard turn on by itself, then the fan spinning for 1 second then the fan stop spinning. I can't turn on my motherboard with the Power Switch (the switch is fine, ive test it with ohm meter). But the motherboard Light (Green LED Indicator) is turn on. Is my motherboard is broken or it is a motherboard design to protect itself? (Sorry for bad English)

Solution
I know if there is no CPU and RAM, the motherboard will not show system POST. But, iam confused with this one because the fan and front panel LED running for a while. Even though i havent pressed the power button (ive detached the front panel connector, but the results are same).
Wherever ther's just DC power going thru that will work with or without CPU, just like any light bulb, CPU is required to do anything that requires "thinking" digitally speaking. None of other circuits will be operational. You still won't know if there's even power to CPU, Ram, chipset or anything else that makes it a computer, like this just a fancy light bulb. Because cooling and power are not regulated you also run a risk of burning something out.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
You can probably "power it on" as LEDs might turn on and fans might spin but that's about it.

Define "test it". If you want to really check that the system can POST and if components are working you need a CPU and at least one RAM module.

You say fan spins for 1 second, what fan is this? The PSU fan? That green LED probably means that the board is getting power. Why would you want to test the board without CPU and RAM anyway?

Jun 27, 2019
You can probably "power it on" as LEDs might turn on and fans might spin but that's about it.

Define "test it". If you want to really check that the system can POST and if components are working you need a CPU and at least one RAM module.

You say fan spins for 1 second, what fan is this? The PSU fan? That green LED probably means that the board is getting power. Why would you want to test the board without CPU and RAM anyway?
it was the case fan.

I Just want to know is my motherboard is fine or broken, because its former/used motherboard. I've watched (on youtube) people who try to turn on the motherboard without processor/cpu, and their fan goes on.

Jun 27, 2019
To properly test it, you should use a CPU, and at least one stick of ram, as stated above. Full system specs, plus make/model of the power supply may help too.
i used new corsair vs450.
(works fine on my old pc)

Iam confused because the fan is running for a while.
It is the factory settings if there is no processor on the motherboard, then the pc wont turn on???

Jun 27, 2019
Without CPU and RAM there's nothing to test.
I know if there is no CPU and RAM, the motherboard will not show system POST. But, iam confused with this one because the fan and front panel LED running for a while. Even though i havent pressed the power button (ive detached the front panel connector, but the results are same).

Wherever ther's just DC power going thru that will work with or without CPU, just like any light bulb, CPU is required to do anything that requires "thinking" digitally speaking. None of other circuits will be operational. You still won't know if there's even power to CPU, Ram, chipset or anything else that makes it a computer, like this just a fancy light bulb. Because cooling and power are not regulated you also run a risk of burning something out.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS