[SOLVED] my motherboard's nvme ssd drive shares lanes with 2nd gpu slot, can I use an nvme adapter (pci-e express x1 slot) to get around that?

Jul 9, 2020
the pc in question has a 1600x ryzen cpu and asrock x370 pro4 mobo, 2 rx 580's and now a kingston a2000 1tb nvme ssd, its not my main pc but I really need to get the setup working.. without changing the motherboard if possible.
>This is the adapter<(page is in romanian, but the specs are important) changed the link this one is for an x1 slot, but anyway there are others, the important thing is if anything would work.
the 2nd slot on my mobo is only for sata ssd's and it would disable one of my hdd's and the 1st one will always disable the 4th pci-e slot ( which is the 2nd pci-e x16 slot that my 2nd gpu uses).
What I'm asking is if using an adapter in a different regular pci-e 2.0 1x slot work , or will it still disable my 2nd gpu
I know it would prolly see it as an external drive and 100% sure it won't be accessible as a boot drive but I'm okay with that.
I just wanna use it to speed up my work In some apps. got a regular ssd for my boot drive.

Last edited:
Solution
Yeah. Return nvme and get sata ssd instead.

If you use nvme drive (PCIE 3.0 x4) drive in PCIE 2.0 x1 slot, this reduces bandwidth to 1/8.
Essentially your nvme drive will perform as sata drive.
Jul 9, 2020
yah I'm kind of bumbed about my purchase, forgot this mobo had specs like that so I just got the Nvme drive without double checking cause I only remembered the specs of the nvme slot and not that it does to my other slots if I use it @_@.

Jul 9, 2020
2 gpus, 1 regular sata ssd, 2 sata hdd's and 1 nvme
don't really wanna do that cause.. this drive is better than most and I'll sell the 2 cards as soon as RDNA 2.0 launches and upgrade to a single high end gpu. So the adapter thing would only be used till then :p

Jul 9, 2020
Yeah. Return nvme and get sata ssd instead.

If you use nvme drive (PCIE 3.0 x4) drive in PCIE 2.0 x1 slot, this reduces bandwidth to 1/8.
Essentially your nvme drive will perform as sata drive.
don't mind that for a few months :p basically cause this drive was so cheap there was barely any difference in price between it and sata ssd's, I just wanna make sure it works even if it would be slower for the time being. Oh now I realise the problem is these adapters use pcie 3.0 and my other slots are slower 2.0 which would limit it to exactly sata speeds or slower if it would even work since they were made for 3.0

Okay so I found an option that works for me , there are external nvme racks to usb 3.1 that don't sacrifice speed that much, this way I can keep everything and actually use this drive on multiple devices, which would be kinda cool, but its another 60 bucks spent, oh well.

Last edited: