My Mouse moves unresponsive and sometimes moves horizontally only

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 7, 2018
so lately this problem has been happening to me which is a serious problem where my cursor moves horizontally unresponsive or not moving completely
and yes i tried plugging it in another pc and it works fine
i tried reinstalling my mouse drivers which is razer imperator but it haven't got fixed
i tried to changing the usb hubs to check if the problem isn't from hubs and yes it made no difference
i saw a thread in other website and he said disabling cortana solves the problem but it didn't work
and so this problem doesn't happen all the time but it's been happening to me more often than before
can this problem happen because of the power supply ?
cuz sometimes my monitor turns off when my fridge compressor starts but i'm using 2 extensions on 2 monitors 1 whole pc and 1 ps4

Solution
Power strips tend to just permit more overloading of a circuit and an inexpensive power strip is more likely to have some failure - possibly catastrophic via an electrical short and fire. Some have built-in circuit breakers that offer some protection - minimal and limited for the most part.

Start with the following link:

https://www.howtogeek.com/337896/whats-the-difference-between-a-power-strip-and-a-surge-protector/

Then take a look at the products available to you via local stores. Touch and feel each product. Then go online and do additional research including professional product reviews/comparisons, unpackings, etc..

Also read any "verified buyer" reviews you can find bearing in mind that they can be less than objective...

Ralston18

Titan
How many USB devices are you using?

Are your USB hubs independently powered - i.e., do they have their own power supply. If not, then the USB ports may be overloaded.

If the hubs have their own power supplies there may be some loss of power there as well (when the fridge compressor starts) which in turn effects the mouse.

Are you using any surge protectors or power strips?

Barring an electrical issue:

Boot as you normally do and open Task Manager.

Observe what is running on your computer and then slide the Task Manager window to one side or the other.

Then work as normal while keeping an eye on the Task Manager window and tabs. Watch for something that changes or has changed when the mouse becomes unresponsive or otherwise fails to work as it should.

May find a good clue as to what is happening.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
This is going to sound absurd, but I also had a problem where a mouse would, sporadically stop working vertically, but still move horizontally. Then it would come back. Then stop sometimes, etc.

The solution was ridiculous. New mouse pad.

Apparently, my old mouse pad had worn, discolored, etc., in such a way that the optical sensor couldn't detect vertical movement in some areas. Even my smooth, white-surface desk allowed the mouse to work properly.

This may not be the issue for you, but it couldn't hurt to give it a shot.

Reactions: Gaurang.misra
Mar 7, 2018

sorry if this question sounds stupid but what the difference between a surge protectors and power strips and how i do know that ?

Mar 7, 2018

amm i don't think that's the problem but i will check this out thanks

Ralston18

Titan
A power strip simply takes one "outlet" and makes it into many outlets.

A surge protector includes electrical components that will detect a voltage spike and damp it down to protect the connected device(s) from damage.

Some power strips include surge protection. Other power strips (less costly do not). And then there are those in the "middle" that include surge protection but only are minimally protective. I.e.: Cheap.

And protection from electrical surges tends to be cumulative. After a few hits, protection is non-existent.

Mar 7, 2018

well i don't know if my power strip does have a surge power because i got it from way back maybe 4 years ago and i don't know if it got a surge power, however i assume my power strip does have a surge power right because the monitor turns off when the fridge starts am i right ?
and also on my perspective what do you think i should do ?
should i buy a new power strip and with or without surge powers ?
because i want to manage my whole setup so i could use 1 power strip
and BTW i heard when using a power strip 220V it's better to have short cable is that right?

Ralston18

Titan
Power strips tend to just permit more overloading of a circuit and an inexpensive power strip is more likely to have some failure - possibly catastrophic via an electrical short and fire. Some have built-in circuit breakers that offer some protection - minimal and limited for the most part.

Start with the following link:

https://www.howtogeek.com/337896/whats-the-difference-between-a-power-strip-and-a-surge-protector/

Then take a look at the products available to you via local stores. Touch and feel each product. Then go online and do additional research including professional product reviews/comparisons, unpackings, etc..

Also read any "verified buyer" reviews you can find bearing in mind that they can be less than objective in intent.

Learn the pros and cons of each product. Go to the manufacturer's websites to read the User Guides, Forums, and FAQs. Lots of relevant information to be found. Watch for what is not being said or mentioned. May reveal some missing function or feature.

A UPS may be a viable option if there are momentary voltage drops. More expensive but most offer multiple outlets and surge protection. Most sit on the floor but "wall" mounting can be very handy. I have one mounted on the back of a cabinet. Again the protection offered can only survive so many hits that the life expectancy may be much lower in your environment.

As for "short cable" I am not aware of any quantitative reason that that would be "better". Cables have gotten shorter over time but primarily, I think, as a means to cut costs. Both in material costs and weight. Does not surprise the cynic in me that some company would somehow tout "shorter" as better.

Overall, no device per se may solve the issue if there is some underlying electrical issue. E.g., an overloaded circuit. Especially in older homes and apartments.

Have a knowledgeable person take a look at your electrical wiring, outlets, etc..

Also visit the

Solution
Apr 20, 2020
This is going to sound absurd, but I also had a problem where a mouse would, sporadically stop working vertically, but still move horizontally. Then it would come back. Then stop sometimes, etc.

The solution was ridiculous. New mouse pad.

Apparently, my old mouse pad had worn, discolored, etc., in such a way that the optical sensor couldn't detect vertical movement in some areas. Even my smooth, white-surface desk allowed the mouse to work properly.

This may not be the issue for you, but it couldn't hurt to give it a shot.
Man you are a true legend , i was looking for an answer for like 12 hours and followed your advice and instantly VOILA!!!! It works perfectly

Status
Not open for further replies.