Question My mouse will not turn on, at all

Nov 10, 2020
This happened after my PC was shut off after the power plug got disconnected by accident. I turned the PC on and the keyboard works fine but the mouse is not even lighting up. It's a Mionix Castor. I put the switched the keyboard and mouse ports and the keyboard still functions, not the mouse. Can an unexpected power outage do this? I'm using an other old cruddy mouse at the moment.

Ralston18

Titan
Inspect the mouse's USB plug - any signs of damage?

Try reinstalling the mouse drivers. Download from the manufacturer's website.

Reinstall and reconfigure.

Try the mouse on another known working computer - determine if the mouse failure follows the mouse.

Could be that the power loss and some resulting surge of current went through the mouse and damaged the mouse in some manner.

Nov 10, 2020
Thanks for the reply.
Another thing I forgot to mention is that Windows still plays the notification sound that something is plugged in. And in Device Manager, under ports, it says somewhere about "unknown USB device not recognised"/"device descriptor failed"

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply.
Another thing I forgot to mention is that Windows still plays the notification sound that something is plugged in. And in Device Manager, under ports, it says somewhere about "unknown USB device not recognised"/"device descriptor failed"

Sounds like the mouse lost connection between the USB interface and the rest of the mouse electronics. As above, you need to test it on another computer. If it also does not work, check the warranty on it. You may be able to open it up and check the connection points to see if anything looks burned or not connected and solder things in place. From the Amazon price, it's not a cheap mouse, so checking warranty and seeing if it can be easily repaired with a solder fix is a good idea.

Nov 10, 2020
Sounds like the mouse lost connection between the USB interface and the rest of the mouse electronics. As above, you need to test it on another computer. If it also does not work, check the warranty on it. You may be able to open it up and check the connection points to see if anything looks burned or not connected and solder things in place. From the Amazon price, it's not a cheap mouse, so checking warranty and seeing if it can be easily repaired with a solder fix is a good idea.
Unfortunately the warranty has expired. I'm still surprised how a power surge can affect the mouse. I plugged it in a different computer and it didn't turn on. Guess I'll open it up or bin it and get another mouse.