My MSI 780 ti Gaming is malfunctioning... again

Pavel Pokidaylo

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2013
Hello. I'm on my third MSI 780 ti Gaming Video card now. The original one I purchased was working very well for a while, it was virtually silent and ran games very well without any hiccups, until it went haywire and started making a really loud noise. I sent it in and the replacement they sent me was broken and turned the screen different colors every 10 seconds. After sending the second one in they replaced it with a brand new one in sealed box. This one had a slight coil whine which a number of people who have bought this card have complained of but it ran perfectly fine save the slight coil whine till now...

Yesterday I was playing Diablo 3 and everything was fine. After closing Diablo 3 I loaded up Titanfall and tried to get into a match but it got stuck at the "connecting" screen and when I took off my headset I heard the GPU making a screeching type noise. I tried a number of games and they either just crashed right after load up or didn't run properly and the noise persisted throughout.

Here are some things that have happened recently that may have affected the GPU but I'm fairly certain the only part to blame is the video card itself.

1. A few days ago when I went to turn on my PC it did not turn on from one press of the power button. I had to press it a few times for it to turn on and this has happened once or twice before.
2. On September 9th I got a new monitor, the Asus ROG Swift PG278q Gsync monitor. I connected it and ran some games with Gsync on and everything was fine.
3. I've been playing Dead Rising 3. This game is very taxing on both the CPU and GPU, especially on 1440p resolution. I noticed that the card was running at full capacity pretty much full time during this game. The temperature of the video card did not exceed 70 degrees.

One thing I did notice was that during load screens in games the mouse cursor moved as if it were moving at 5 fps.

I've tried connecting the card to my old Dell 24 inch monitor via HDMI and it displayed the same exact symptoms.

I took the 780 ti out and packed it up and put an R9 270 from Gigabyte in and all the games work fine and I'm not hearing any noise like I did from the 780 ti.

I'm going to call up my rep at MSI tommorow and send the card back in for replacement (again).

For the time being I can play on this AMD card but it's not the same at all.

I guess my question is this... Did having to press the power button a few times for the computer to start have done this to the GPU? The other hardware in my PC seems to not have been affected but are they at risk? Could Gsync be the culprit? The card was working at 99%
while I played Dead Rising 3 but that's not the first time it ran at full capacity and it did not overheat at all.

I'm leaning towards the card being the culprit but I'm no pro =/

Solution
No...not turning on sounds like a hardware related issued caused by the gpu, i have read that agaian and ppl said psu problem but it was the gpu. Also the issues described are gpu related and as you mentioned above r9 280 was ok so rest of the hardware is fine. Since you played DR3 for some time and gpu was at full load then there is no way the psu failed to provide the necessary current to boot up.
What is your psu just in case?
Dont worry about faulty hardware i have a corsair vengeance k95 keyboard and on the first week 4 leds died. After the rma, the second one last a month since i saw the first dead led again and in 2 weeks 7 leds was dead so know i dont have keyboard cuz i rma the second one...again...w8ing for the third one...

matsamas

Honorable
Aug 20, 2013
No...not turning on sounds like a hardware related issued caused by the gpu, i have read that agaian and ppl said psu problem but it was the gpu. Also the issues described are gpu related and as you mentioned above r9 280 was ok so rest of the hardware is fine. Since you played DR3 for some time and gpu was at full load then there is no way the psu failed to provide the necessary current to boot up.
What is your psu just in case?
Dont worry about faulty hardware i have a corsair vengeance k95 keyboard and on the first week 4 leds died. After the rma, the second one last a month since i saw the first dead led again and in 2 weeks 7 leds was dead so know i dont have keyboard cuz i rma the second one...again...w8ing for the third one.
Also my first corsair ax 860i psu came dead on arrival. It never turned on so i rma that also the second day....
It happens..take it easy :)

Solution

Pavel Pokidaylo

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2013
Hi and thanks for reply. My PSU is a Seasonic Gold 1050W.

Yea I also think the rest of the PC is fine its just the GPU. I hope the next one they send me will finally work good and not malfunction after a few months :(

This card got a really good review on techpowerup mainly because, at the time, it was the highest factory overclocked card and also one of the quietest. It's true that this card is silent, playing on the Gigabyte card now I can hear the fans spinning but I could not hear the MSI cards fans. The factory overclock was good too and it ran very well but... Coil whine and malfcuntioning after a few months is killing it for me

Luckily I have this AMD card or I wouldn't be able to play any games for 2 weeks while I waited for them to RMA the card.

Pavel Pokidaylo

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2013
The 780 ti is powerful though. I could play DR3 with maxed settings on 1440p and get 40-60fps and Gsync helps smooth it out as well. To get 40-60 fps on the 270 I have to play at 720p with all the settings turned all the way down lol. If I try to play the game on 1440p w/ max settings I get about 9fps or the game just crashes to desktop.

matsamas

Honorable
Aug 20, 2013
sounds reasonable to me. r9 270 is a really low graphic card for medium gaming at medium resulotions (res<1080p) while 780ti is currently the most powerfull....(except titan,titan z,titan black)