Question My MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 2080 Super underperforming compared to Asus Rog Strix RTX 2070 OC

Dunderal

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
I just built my computer a little under a month ago had bought the Asus Rog Strix RTX 2070 OC and it performed decent. I was able to come up on some more money so I decided to treat myself and upgrade to the MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 2080 Super but it underperforms compared to the Asus 2070 I had in there. I was getting a solid 99-100 fps in ESO and 112-120 in BO4, other games I didn't leave the FPS counter on. This card is only getting about 70-75 fps in ESO with the same settings and about 78-84 fps in BO4... I don't understand how this is happening. The only things I changed was the graphic card.

I have an i7-9700k
MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC
EVGA 750 Gold rated power supply
16g Skill Trident Z 3000 memory
Cooler Master 240R AIO
500gb Samsung M.2 Vnand SSD 970 Evo storage

I did run DDU after booting up with the new graphics card and it uninstalled the asus driver and a couple of other things which I can't remember and didn't take a picture of. I did run Driver Pack 2019 and it updated 10 drivers an installed .net framework and libraries which I guess I didn't have. I'm at a loss now. Don't know if I got a bad card....

I ran the Kombustor GL msi-01 test and it was stressing the gpu at 99% and was only getting 55 fps at 1440 res setting... don't know if that's bad.

Someone please help! Have been trying to figure this out for about 4 hours now.. :(

Thank you!

Update: Just ran Witcher 3 with GPU Tweak 2 OSD and I'm getting 80 fps with motion blur off, AA off, hairworks off, high quality shadows... :(

Also, there's a lot of lag in MSI's Dragon Center. The cursor stutters and when I close the app it freezes and closes in 1-2 seconds.

Last edited:
The first thing I'd do is uninstall the Driver Pack software. God knows what they could be installing.

Only download your drivers, from the manufacturers website for your components. This way you know they are the latest versions. You can get the latest versions for your mobo here: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/MPG-Z390-GAMING-EDGE-AC#down-driver&Win10 64

Then download the latest Nvida Driver here: https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/151275/en-us

Run the GPU driver and choose the custom install option. Choose the 'clean install' tick box. Then select everything to install other than Geforce experience. Geforce Experience has a way of over optimising games, so if you have installed or use it, i'd advise not to.

Make sure windows is up to date, and it might be worth doing a bios update too, to be thorough,

Reactions: LordVile

Dunderal

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
Thanks for the reply. I manually installed all the drivers that I could with MSI (including the chipset) and I did a full bios flash last night as well. I then uninstalled Geforce Experience and did a clean install of the drivers only. Windows is also up to date and even went one by one checking every single thing for driver for updates in device manager.

Everything is still the same, this card is way under performing. When I tried to do the OC Scanner with both GPU Tweak II and MSI Afterburner the computer black screened and I had to manually turn off and turn back on to get it to respond... think it's a bad board? Or maybe a bad power supply?

Yesterday I had my computer plugged in to a cyber power power bank / surge protector and when I did the oc scanner it started beeping with the GPU Tweak II oc scanner but it did finish but with the MSI oc scanner it beeped but also black screened. So I disconnected it from that it plugged it directly into the wall but now neither oc scanner will finish. It will black screen each time.

Last edited:

Dunderal

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
So today my pc would randomly restart for no reason (new problem). So I bought a new power supply to see if maybe that was the issue. I bought another EVGA again except a 850W one instead of the 750W that's installed. I connected it and the computer wouldn't let up... DOA. Why am I cursed?! I'm doing a full computer reset (deleting all files) and will reinstall all the drivers. If that doesn't fix it I'll return the power supply and get another 850W to see if that clears it up. If it doesn't then it's it safe to assume I have a bad graphics card? Or possibly a bad Mobo?

Last edited: