Question My MSI Geforce RTX 3060ti is dead after one month of use

johny91

Reputable
Nov 19, 2017
Hello to everyone reading this,

The following happened : I bought all the components in december to build a new gaming PC. After one month of use my GPU which is the MSI Geforce RTX 3060ti gaming X trio stopped working and wasn't even being detected anymore.

I returned the PC to the computer store who build the PC with the components i ordered with the information that my GPU stopped working, later that day they called me and said they had tested my GPU on 2 different PC's and that it's dead.

Now i still have my onboard graphics on my MSI Z490 Gaming Plus mobo, but i'm only able to use a HDMI cable i had laying in my house which i didn't use anymore because i used a DP cable since my monitor is an acer predator.

Is it possible that my DP cable is faulty because of my GPU dying ?

Or maybe that my DP cable was faulty in the first place that it caused my GPU to die ?

If i hook up my PC with the DP cable it will show a bar at the top of my screen which flickers all kinds of colours and the mouse will become extremely laggy and the computer will get very slow.

Here is a picture of the bar of the top of the screen it constantly changes colors and flickers and also a picture of my specs : View: https://imgur.com/a/tJd6u92

I'm pretty confused because my PC worked fine until suddenly my screen went black and said : no signal, while i wasn't even in game, and i had to restart and it switched to my onboard intel hd graphics but it never detected my MSI Geforce RTX 3060ti again.

After which i returned it to have it tested and received the bad news that my GPU is dead.

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.

johny91

Reputable
Nov 19, 2017
I find it highly improbable that a DP cable would cause your GPU to die; after all, the signal is going from your GPU to the monitor, not the other way around.

What power supply where you using?

First of thanks for replying.

I'm using a Corsair RM750 750W ATX24 . I used pcpartpicker to build my PC and it said that it all was compatible.

The GPU has been sent back for repair/replacement yesterday, so they will let me know what's wrong with it soon.

I bought a brand new DP cable and tested it today to no avail, i'm having the same problem shown in the pictures I posted here. So if i had to guess i'd say maybe my GPU short circuited and killed my monitor's or mobo's DP ports...

I'm going to take my monitor and PC to a friend tomorrow who has a PC with a DP port to test if it is indeed my monitor's DP port that is broken or if that my mobo's DP port is broken.

The HDMI port on my mobo which i hadn't used before is working fine with the HMDI port on my acer predator monitor.

Is it possible that if, let's say my GPU short circuited it would be possible that it also broke the DP port on my mobo or the DP port on my monitor ?

First of thanks for replying.

I'm using a Corsair RM750 750W ATX24 . I used pcpartpicker to build my PC and it said that it all was compatible.

The GPU has been sent back for repair/replacement yesterday, so they will let me know what's wrong with it soon.

I bought a brand new DP cable and tested it today to no avail, i'm having the same problem shown in the pictures I posted here. So if i had to guess i'd say maybe my GPU short circuited and killed my monitor's or mobo's DP ports...

I'm going to take my monitor and PC to a friend tomorrow who has a PC with a DP port to test if it is indeed my monitor's DP port that is broken or if that my mobo's DP port is broken.

The HDMI port on my mobo which i hadn't used before is working fine with the HMDI port on my acer predator monitor.

Is it possible that if, let's say my GPU short circuited it would be possible that it also broke the DP port on my mobo or the DP port on my monitor ?

It's certainly possible I'm sure, although I don't speak from experience...

TRENDING THREADS