Question My MSI gl72MRex in underperforming on all games

Feb 15, 2019
Specs:
8gb ddr4 ram
gtx 1050ti 4GB
7200 rpm HHD

newest nvidea drivers
always connected to outlet

A week after i bought this 1050 ti laptop, i noticed my performance went downhill quite fast. i noticed while playing minecraft that my friend's laptop was significantly outperforming mine. i was getting around 80 fps and he was getting 200on his old amd procesor. also gtaV was running smooth as ever on almost the highest settings, but the next day i was getting 40.... and on the lowest possible settings i was getting 30??
this isnt a throttleling problem because it does this even when its cold.
i also bought bo3 recently and it runs like poo on low and ultra, any ideas what it could be?

Last edited:
I'm guessing it's using NVidia Optimus; Check the performance settings in the NVidia Control Panel (make sure things are set to use the NVidia GPU, not the Intel graphics) and disable or uninstall GeForce Experience.

If you haven't tried doing a clean install of your NVidia driver (using the latest, or using a version or two older), be sure you try that, also.

Feb 15, 2019
I'm guessing it's using NVidia Optimus; Check the performance settings in the NVidia Control Panel (make sure things are set to use the NVidia GPU, not the Intel graphics) and disable or uninstall GeForce Experience.

If you haven't tried doing a clean install of your NVidia driver (using the latest, or using a version or two older), be sure you try that, also.

it still doesnt run well, its really wierd but it almost seems it got worse?
the fps did not go up a single bit, and it now overheats much sooner?

If it's overheating, that's going to be a big problem. Overheating will cause throttling, which will result in a drop in performance. Best ways to avoid this are elevating the laptop, using it on a hard, flat surface, and if needed, reapply the thermal compound.

What are your temperatures, exactly (when you experience overheating)?

Feb 15, 2019
If it's overheating, that's going to be a big problem. Overheating will cause throttling, which will result in a drop in performance. Best ways to avoid this are elevating the laptop, using it on a hard, flat surface, and if needed, reapply the thermal compound.

What are your temperatures, exactly (when you experience overheating)?
Well the highest temp i saw, was 95C so i quickly closed bo3, but it has fps problems in gta from the moment i turn on my laptop(30C). Im going to mount a fan under the cooling pad i made so that should help. It does confuse me though, i get low fps on low settings and also low fps on ultra(To be expected of course)
To answer your question: round about 80C

95 C will certainly cause throttling. Keeping the temps down will help, but it sounds like heat isn't the crux here. See that you can verify that your games are using the NVidia GPU (not the Intel iGPU), and if they are, you might want to contact MSI support about the performance issue.

Feb 15, 2019
95 C will certainly cause throttling. Keeping the temps down will help, but it sounds like heat isn't the crux here. See that you can verify that your games are using the NVidia GPU (not the Intel iGPU), and if they are, you might want to contact MSI support about the performance issue.
Yeah i dont think gtaV can run on my IGPU XD. Ill contact msi asap, thnx