Question My new 3700x is causing such a headache

Oct 11, 2020
So I just got my new Ryzen 7 3700X in, and after installing it, my system ran fine for maybe a day before it started constantly crashing. It would just reboot itself with no warning pretty much right after I log into Windows. I thought there was a driver issue going on so I re-installed Windows with a clean install and even reset my BIOS to defaults. Still didn't change anything through all the Windows updates. Next, I went back into the BIOS and enabled X-AMP profile 1 to see if my RAM speeds were causing an issue. No change. After all that nonsense, I put back my 1700x and reset the BIOS again and it worked right away - no rebooting or crashing or anything. Back to normal with my 1700x.

My motherboard is the MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon. I had to flash the BIOS to the beta version before doing all of the aforementioned stuff of course. I even verified that the 3700x is on the compatibility list for this motherboard. So I am at a total loss as to why this is happening. It's deeply saddening. Do I have to get a more recent motherboard (B450/X470/B550/X570)? I didn't think I would have to since everywhere states I should be able to use my current motherboard just fine. People even confirmed that the 3700x works fine on this specific motherboard as long as you're using the beta BIOS version.

If anyone can suggest any ideas, that'd be awesome. Don't ask for Event Viewer logs or thermals because like I said, it would just reboot itself not even a minute after logging into Windows. No time to open anything up, really.

HOLDMYPC

Reputable
Aug 1, 2020
Hmmm if what you say is true then there is a very minute chance of any hardware issue, it cant be the PSU cz 3700X is 65W while 1700X is 95W it cant be the X370 chipset as it is running the 1700X, just check for bent pins on 3700X also There is a 90% chance this is happening due to the instability due to some issue while flashing the BETA BIOS, did u trying flashing a new BIOS, so that errors can be rectified or it may be the BIOS itself is not very good with your other components

So I just got my new Ryzen 7 3700X in, and after installing it, my system ran fine for maybe a day before it started constantly crashing. It would just reboot itself with no warning pretty much right after I log into Windows. I thought there was a driver issue going on so I re-installed Windows with a clean install and even reset my BIOS to defaults. Still didn't change anything through all the Windows updates. Next, I went back into the BIOS and enabled X-AMP profile 1 to see if my RAM speeds were causing an issue. No change. After all that nonsense, I put back my 1700x and reset the BIOS again and it worked right away - no rebooting or crashing or anything. Back to normal with my 1700x.

My motherboard is the MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon. I had to flash the BIOS to the beta version before doing all of the aforementioned stuff of course. I even verified that the 3700x is on the compatibility list for this motherboard. So I am at a total loss as to why this is happening. It's deeply saddening. Do I have to get a more recent motherboard (B450/X470/B550/X570)? I didn't think I would have to since everywhere states I should be able to use my current motherboard just fine. People even confirmed that the 3700x works fine on this specific motherboard as long as you're using the beta BIOS version.

If anyone can suggest any ideas, that'd be awesome. Don't ask for Event Viewer logs or thermals because like I said, it would just reboot itself not even a minute after logging into Windows. No time to open anything up, really.
Did you install latest chipset driver ?
https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/x370

Oct 11, 2020
How am I supposed to if the system keeps rebooting not even a minute after I log into windows?

Hmmm if what you say is true then there is a very minute chance of any hardware issue, it cant be the PSU cz 3700X is 65W while 1700X is 95W it cant be the X370 chipset as it is running the 1700X, just check for bent pins on 3700X also There is a 90% chance this is happening due to the instability due to some issue while flashing the BETA BIOS, did u trying flashing a new BIOS, so that errors can be rectified or it may be the BIOS itself is not very good with your other components
Well, my 1700x is running fine on the beta BIOS, and it did give me the success message when I did flash it. But I can certainly try re-flashing it? Just seems very unlikely to change anything.

Short recap: Installed 3700X which works fine for a day, then troubles began... Means, your CPU is ok, BIOS is ok -otherwise your system wouldn't work at all. And I also don't believe the reason is outdated chipset drivers. As name says, these drivers are meant for chipset. By using outdated chipset drivers, you might lose some mobo functionality or performance, but PC doesn't start to crash because of that -after 24h!
Because of crashes, you switch back to 1700X, and system works again... Means, CPU socket is fine, motherboard/Bios is fine, memory is fine. So why system with 3700X started to crash? I can't believe CPU just died after a day of use.
I suspect reason might be CPU temperatures (which you didn't mentioned). For some reason, CPU lost surface contact with CPU cooler (screws not tighten enough, PC was shaken/dropped on desk,...) and CPU gets hot.
Put 3700X back again and install cooler carefully.. it should work.

Oct 11, 2020
Short recap: Installed 3700X which works fine for a day, then troubles began... Means, your CPU is ok, BIOS is ok -otherwise your system wouldn't work at all. And I also don't believe the reason is outdated chipset drivers. As name says, these drivers are meant for chipset. By using outdated chipset drivers, you might lose some mobo functionality or performance, but PC doesn't start to crash because of that -after 24h!
Because of crashes, you switch back to 1700X, and system works again... Means, CPU socket is fine, motherboard/Bios is fine, memory is fine. So why system with 3700X started to crash? I can't believe CPU just died after a day of use.
I suspect reason might be CPU temperatures (which you didn't mentioned). For some reason, CPU lost surface contact with CPU cooler (screws not tighten enough, PC was shaken/dropped on desk,...) and CPU gets hot.
Put 3700X back again and install cooler carefully.. it should work.

I used the stock cooler the 3700x came with (replacing my Corsair H60 AIO CPU cooler), and it came with thermal paste pre-applied to the copper block. I didn't modify anything or use extra thermal paste. I definitely installed it correctly because that stock cooler won't clip onto the AM4 socket adapter unless it was! lol I definitely struggled a little bit to get those clips in place initially, but once you do, it's hard to to say it went on incorrectly if it wasn't forced in any way. When I went back to the 1700x, I put the 3700x's stock cooler on it (yes, I cleaned off the old thermal paste and applied new paste). Checking the thermals now and it's at a cool 45-50C while running a game in the background. I can't imagine the 3700x running hotter, given it drawing less power.

Oct 11, 2020
I believe you that you installed cooler correctly.. but sh*t happens. As you can imagine, it's really hard to tell what causes the problem without having your rig on my desk. I just thought, you should give 3700X a second chance :)

I want to! I was so stoked to finally get one. But I think this one might be defective or something. I want to check its thermals to be sure, but I can't if it makes my system reboot so quickly :( I may try again later today. It's 5am here and I haven't slept yet, trying to figure out life with this 3700x lol

Reset CMOS after BIOS update and with the 3700X installed? And then run it with settings full stock so that means using neither XMP profile and memory clock in AUTO.

Can you boot up into Windows safe mode?

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I feel your pain. I installed a 2700X on a Tachi X370 and had recurring issues for months afterward. I basically replaced the entire system chasing the issue and everything I replaced is working fine in the "other" computer. In my own case it came down to finding a BIOS that the mobo was happy with and am actually PAST the one they recommend for this particular CPU. I have been quite reluctant to attempt any further part changes with this particular mobo/CPU/RAM combo. It's running fine now, stable, and I really (REALLY) don't want to go through my experience again, which was much like yours.

ssal

Commendable
Aug 20, 2020
I would definitely check for bent pin(s) in the 3700x. You may want to examine it with a magnifier glass.

When I switched out the 2700x to a brand new 3800x, I accidentally bent one of the corner pin which gave me a run for a while.

I called AMD support and they were able to isolate the problem to the CPU, which under a photo loupe revealed the bent pin. Fortunately, I was able to use a small box cutter blade to push it back into place. I would definitely suggest you to call AMD and ask them for help.

BTW, the gen 3 Ryzen runs 8-10°C hotter than the previous generation chips because of the 7nm architect. But the stock cooler should do just fine.

Good luck.

Oct 11, 2020
Attached is a picture of the RAM I have in my system. 2 sticks of each of these for a total of 32GB of RAM that works perfectly fine alongside my 1700x. They may LOOK like different sticks of RAM, but they are identical. Corsair just put out the RGB version of them later on, versus the original model being the silver topped one. Originally (as in before I ever got my 3700x), I had XMP Profile 1 active which had the memory set to either 3000 or 3200 MHz (I forget at this point in time). When I flashed the BIOS to the beta BIOS right before "upgrading" to my new 3700x, I made sure to default the BIOS as well, which obviously turned off any XMP profile I was using prior.

But anyways, I did what some of you were suggesting, and ensured I had installed the most up to date AMD chipset drivers (which I'm fairly certain I had done prior to clean installing Windows, but did not afterwards thinking it may had been what caused my issue in the first place) with my 1700x in the system. No problems there. I then went into the BIOS and once again defaulted it before once again installing my 3700x and removing 3 of my 4 sticks of memory (I left one of the silver topped ones in). I got to the windows login screen and managed to run HWMonitor for a couple of minutes before it rebooted. The temp for the 3700x was only at 50-55C right before the reboot, so it can't possibly be the thermals causing this to happen (unless the software can't update fast enough?).

My next step was to try the safe mode idea (still with just the 1 stick of memory installed). I got into normal Safe Mode just fine and let my PC chill for a few minutes and it never rebooted (like 3-4 minutes of chillin'). So I decided to try safe mode WITH networking next - IMMEDIATE reboot upon login and trying to open an application that uses internet (in this case, all I did was open Chrome, but Discord loaded upon login and didn't cause the reboot... weird). Again, still just 1 stick of memory installed at this point.

I put back the other 3 sticks of memory in its original configuration, put back my 1700x (still with the 3700x stock cooler), and once again my PC is back to working normally. I did not re-enable an XMP profile at this point in time, so my RAM is operating at whatever default speed(s) currently. This is extremely frustrating, and I will definitely give AMD tech support a call to get a little help, but it'll have to be tomorrow because they are closed today (tech businesses are still just Mon-Fri in 2020? >_>).

Oh, and I did check the 3700x after uninstalling it, for bent pins. None at all. Pristine condition from what I can tell aside from the now smudged thermal paste I still need to clean off of it haha. At this point, I'm going to need to buy some more thermal paste with all the cleaning and re-applying new thermal paste through all of this.

2Fx86FB.jpg

gtarayan

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
In your efforts to troubleshoot this rig, I think all of the work you have done steadily converges on your CPU as the likely culprit. Many years ago when I worked as a PC tech who troubleshooted computers and built new PCs for a small local shop, I periodically observed instances where certain components (including CPUs/boards/memory) when coupled with other certain components would cause unexplainable issues. I say unexplainable because once what seemed to be an offending CPU was installed in the identical another board, it behaved perfectly fine. You'd then think perhaps the board was the issue - but then the board worked perfectly fine with a different identical CPU. I am not saying this is what's happening, but in the end, replacing the CPU may solve all your issues. So calling AMD is the right move.

I hope you sort this out.

Oct 11, 2020
In your efforts to troubleshoot this rig, I think all of the work you have done steadily converges on your CPU as the likely culprit. Many years ago when I worked as a PC tech who troubleshooted computers and built new PCs for a small local shop, I periodically observed instances where certain components (including CPUs/boards/memory) when coupled with other certain components would cause unexplainable issues. I say unexplainable because once what seemed to be an offending CPU was installed in the identical another board, it behaved perfectly fine. You'd then think perhaps the board was the issue - but then the board worked perfectly fine with a different identical CPU. I am not saying this is what's happening, but in the end, replacing the CPU may solve all your issues. So calling AMD is the right move.

I hope you sort this out.

Thanks for the input. That DOES sound suspiciously like how finicky technology can be sometimes. I work as the main IT guy for a fast food franchise, going between 17 locations managing all their technology (everything from the POS systems to the security cameras and such). I have definitely encountered some extremely weird situations that made absolutely no sense at all. Like I believe I mentioned before, I'll have to try and call them tomorrow since they are closed today. Not sure if they'll be open tomorrow either because of the holiday. But we shall see.