Question My new build won't recognize the old hard drive.

M-train

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2015
I just built a new PC. To save some headaches I'm using a working internal hard drive 500GB HDD SATA from my old PC which had already been upgraded to Win10.

For some reason when the new pc boots up it goes directly do the BIOS screen, and I cannot see the old hard drive listed in the "BOOT" options. I rechecked the plugs going from the CD drive to the old hard dive [also from the hard drive to the motherboard] then back to the power supply, but everything is plugged in securely. I also have an internal SSD installed to the new PC, but I installed it after trying to run the PC off the old drive. I did get a disc with the new mother board, is there something I need to install from the disc?

Here are the specs from my new build.
Motherboard: ASROCK H670M PRO RS Socket LGA1700/ Intel H670/ DDR4/ SATA3&USB3.2/ M.2/ Micro ATX Motherboard
CPU: Intel Core i5 Core 12400F Desktop Processor 18M Cache, up to 4.40 GHz
Ram: Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 32GB (2 x 16GB) 3200MHz Kit - PVS432G320C6K
Power: Cooler Master Watt 650 Watt Semifanless Modular Power Supply, 80 PLUS Bronze
gpu: PowerColor Red Devil AMD Radeon RX 6750 XT Graphics Card with 12GB GDDR6 Memory
Internal memory: WD_BLACK 1TB SN770 NVMe Internal Gaming SSD Solid State Drive

Last edited by a moderator:

Lutfij

Titan
If you performed a platform change, you will need to reinstall the OS since you swapped platforms. Your old drive's OS is of no good here.

Motherboard: ASROCK H670M PRO RS
What BIOS version are you on for your motherboard at this moment of time?

Are any of the other parts in your build recycled from the old system?

M-train

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2015
No other parts recycled, just the old hard drive. The BIOS came from the motherboard.

I've got a win7 disc that I had from the computer I'm using at the moment [built about 5 years ago], and I've tried using it to install win7, but when I try to install W7 it freezes up at the win7 logo screen.

I made a win7 boot using a USB drive, but again, it will freeze up when it gets to the win7 logo screen. [I did specify from the bios to use the usb for priority boot].

M-train

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2015
I do vaguely remember having problems with win7 freezing up on install with the pc I'm using now, but I cannot remember what I did to get it to install.

After watching several vids it would seem that I need to change the UEFI to UEFI "Legacy".

I went to the BIOS, and there wasn't an option to do this. The only option was the UEFI "compatibility mode" [for which I tried, but it still froze when the windows logo appeared].

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS