ThatUnfunGuy

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011
So hey guys :D
I'm putting together a new build, I'm gonna go out and buy the components tomorrow, or Monday.
I just wanted to ask you guys if everything will run nicely together and maybe if you have any suggestions :D

Case: NZXT Tempest Evo
Mobo: Asus P8Z68-V pro
Processor: Intel i5 2500k
RAM: Kingston HyperX 1600mHz 8gb kit
Graphics: ASUS GTX570 DCII/2DIS/1280MD5
Boot: OCZ Agility 3 120 GB
Storage: Western Caviar WD20EARX 2TB

For power I was hoping to use my current power supply
NorthQ Giant Connector 850W
This is the part that worries me. Will it run okay? I'm thinking of upgrading it in the near future, when I get the money. Also what happens if the power supply isn't delivering sufficient power? Will it just not work, or can it damage the other components.

Optical Drive: The DVD drive I have now, until I can afford a decent Blue-ray drive.
I guess that's it. Tell me if I forgot anything. If you have any suggestions please bring them to the table :D

Edit:
Maybe I should tell what I plan on doing with this computer:
Gaming, Video Editing, Video Shooting, Chatting, Browsing and all that good stuff :D

ThatUnfunGuy

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011

That's great news :D It just seems everybody is using 1000W gold bla bla bla... In their builds these days oO
But thank you very much for the help :D

Swolern

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011
Looks good. Couple suggestions.

1. I seen a couple unstability issues on the OCZ SSDs. I like the Crucial M4, they also had one of the fastest read/right speeds. They had the 120gb on sale at Newegg.com on sale for $160 a couple days ago. Plus if SSD is for boot only then you only need 60gb. 120gb is better btw if you plan to put a few programs on the SSD also.

2. One place you dont want to skimp on is the PSU, a good one delivers watts more efficiently and can be used in future upgrades. I would stick with a well known brand name. You dont need 1000w for sure. A good 650-700w should be good for your system, unles you plan to SLI your 570 in the future then i would go with 850-900w.

AdrianPerry

Distinguished
Isn't Kingston HyperX 1.65v RAM?

1.5v is recommended for SandyBridge Socket 1155.

PSU - 500w should be enough for a single card, 850w recommended for SLI. Even if your PSU quality is "questionable" it should certainly provide more power than a single card needs.

Taken from Guru3d on the GTX 570:

Keep that in mind. Our normal system power consumption is higher than your average system.

Measured power consumption

System in IDLE = 181W
System Wattage with GPU in FULL Stress = 369W
Difference (GPU load) = 188W
Add average IDLE wattage ~ 25W
Subjective obtained GPU power consumption = ~ 213 Watts

hunuok

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2009
Your PSU is fine for running your rig.

Vertex 3 HAD stability issues with firmware 2.08/2.09 but 2.11 seems to have fixed issues. Make sure you update preferably before OS install. Else you can do it after with a little fiddling. Check out OCZ forum sticky on how to do.

Good luck with build.

ThatUnfunGuy

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011

I actually found some Corsair RAMs a bit cheaper and they're 1.5v

Thank you Hunuok will be sure to check that out :D

Thank all of you for your replies :D

TRENDING THREADS