[SOLVED] My new computer shuts off a couple seconds after starting with a click in the PSU. PSU must be restarted before case power button works again.

Jul 23, 2020
Here's the build:

After shutting off, the power button does not work to turn it on again until I turn the PSU off and then back on again.

The motherboard lights up when the psu is on, and all the components light up and fans spin for a few seconds when I press he power button. The start-up screen appears on the monitor, but I haven't tried to do anything with it as it shuts off quickly with everything else.

I'm worried I plugged something in wrong or didn't plug something in I was supposed to. I've done this before, but there were a few things different this time.

I've never used the 12V at power cables before, but I plugged an 8 pin and 4 pin (P8 and P4) in this time. 24 pin is still plugged in obviously. The psu has an "ock" overclocking switch thats supposed to disable some safety features to allow for overclocking (or thats my understanding). I have the switch installed (and off) but unplugged it when this issue happened.

I checked all the cables to make sure they were plugged in all the way. Googling the issue yields dozens of different results to similar problems. Any ideas? What would make the power switch work only once, crash, then have to restart the psu? All I can think of is some sort of protection in the PSU causing it to intentionally shut off, but I dont know what that could be. Maybe faulty PSU? How could I tell?

Solution
No beep codes or diagnostic LED's?

What thermal paste did you use and how was the thermal pasted applied?

Did you use the power cables that came with the Dark Power Pro PSU? Versus reusing some other existing PSU cables...

Refer back to the motherboard's and PSU's installation guides/manuals to doublecheck cables and connections. Also read through the troubleshooting section. You may note some error of omission or commission.

Do not do anything until you have read all of the documentation, including fine print, online references, etc. Then sketch out the necessary power connections between PSU and motherboard. Everything should match down to the pin level.

If supported, try booting via iGPU. Remove the RTX 2080 first...

Ralston18

Titan
No beep codes or diagnostic LED's?

What thermal paste did you use and how was the thermal pasted applied?

Did you use the power cables that came with the Dark Power Pro PSU? Versus reusing some other existing PSU cables...

Refer back to the motherboard's and PSU's installation guides/manuals to doublecheck cables and connections. Also read through the troubleshooting section. You may note some error of omission or commission.

Do not do anything until you have read all of the documentation, including fine print, online references, etc. Then sketch out the necessary power connections between PSU and motherboard. Everything should match down to the pin level.

If supported, try booting via iGPU. Remove the RTX 2080 first. Simplify the build.

Forego any immediate overclocking - make the first goal to establish a bootable and stable system.

Then work on further configuration and performance enhancements.

Reactions: Wilcal
Solution