Question My new CPU is jumping straight to 100C on boot

Jul 20, 2020
I just built a new system and whenever I boot it up it goes immediately to 100C then my AIO gets it down to the 60s idling. Playing nay cpu intensive game puts it right back in the 90s. I'm using default bios settings of my i7-10700k and Asus Tuf z490-plus mobo. I've got an H100i v2 on there for cooling but ordered the newer model in case it's that. But since it seems to get the temps down after boot it must be doing something right right? What could be happening? I've remounted my AIO several times to triple check it's tightly secured and the thermal paste is evenly spread. I can garauntee my thermal paste isn't the issue and my AIO is as secure as possible. Only thing I can think of with that is my H100Iv2 is older and maybe doesn't perfectly fit a 1200 socket but it does bring that 100C down to 60 after it turns on so it seems to work at least some.

CPU: i7-10700k
Motherboard:Asus Tuf z490-plus
Ram: corsair vengeance 2x16
SSD/HDD: Crucial Mx500 1tb/seagate 4tb
GPU: MSI 980 GTX 4gb
GPU:
PSU: Seasonic 850 Gold

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs like so:
Please include/list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
GPU:
PSU:

Given how you're on an AIO, what are your ambient room air temps? Those are either bad temps from a bad mount for the cooler or you might have mounted the radiator side the wrong way.

Include a picture of your system as well.

Adjust your pump curve and timings.
Start cooling earlier( lower temp) adjust depending on how you will use. Mine is set aty a 45 degree angle and reaches max speed early. I game! Timings determine how responsive to changes in temp the fans/pump behave.

Jul 20, 2020
When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs like so:
Please include/list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
GPU:
PSU:

Given how you're on an AIO, what are your ambient room air temps? Those are either bad temps from a bad mount for the cooler or you might have mounted the radiator side the wrong way.

Include a picture of your system as well.

Edited. I'll take pictures later but the radiator is front mounted in the Deepcool Mattrexx 55 case. I've been using this AIO on my old pc for a few years. I cleaned it and put it in my new build so I'm accustomed to it.

Jul 20, 2020
How many years exactly?

And that case has a closed front panel. Your components are already suffocated.

I can't find exact purchase date but 3-4 years I'd imagine. Also the deepcool has vents on the side of the front case to allow airflow into the radiator. It's specifically for it. And again, it doesn't hit 100C over time. It hits 100C on boot then goes down to the 60s. I have a new H100 coming this week as well as more case fans, but I still don't know why when I boot up the cpu goes right to 100C. That's the major issue I want to start with. Default bios settings on cpu.

Jul 20, 2020
Adjust your pump curve and timings.
Start cooling earlier( lower temp) adjust depending on how you will use. Mine is set aty a 45 degree angle and reaches max speed early. I game! Timings determine how responsive to changes in temp the fans/pump behave.
I have my pumps and fan set to extreme. They start at full speed as soon as windows opens, and hopefully sooner

kenzimarcel

Commendable
Feb 13, 2018
when you take off the aio, is the paste pushed out very thin and spread everywhere? tight does not always mean its fully contacting if its not done right. otherwise check your pump is working ok. feel the radiator and see if its getting warm in a timely manner along with the cpu

Jul 20, 2020
The last time I put it on, I cleaned it and the cpu thoroughly with alcohol, spread a thin even layer on the cpu using a clean plastic bag on my finger. I placed the aio firmly down and screwed it in a cross pattern to ensure even pressure. I just took the front of the case off to make sure airflow wasn't the issue as it does have the glass directly in front but with vents on the side of it. I made sure my pump is set to start on startup and I disabled hyperthreading. This was the chart when I let it cool down then booted up again with those changes. Since then it has cooled to the mid 50s with the pump running. a slight improvement with the front off, but still booting straight to 100C View: https://imgur.com/a/KYYTiby

Jul 20, 2020
And when I boot up an unoptimized early access game that's cpu heavy and it goes straight up to 90 in that. I am using my main drive from my last build, could there be competing drivers or anything I need to clean up?