My new Custom PC wont start!

ghostowl

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
So I put all the parts and plugged things in. Im very new to this so theres a big possibility I didnt put things in the right spots, especially with pins and connectors and cables

Anyway, I press the power button, and the PSU turns on ( I hear the sound and the PSU fan works) but the weird thing is that all the case fans start up as well, but they stop working after 2 seconds. There is no beep, and it just seems like my PSU isnt giving life to the rest of my hardware even tho I know PSU is fine since it runs.

Is there a guide (not the manual) for installing gigabyte h61m-ds2 mobo?

I also didnt know what to plug in for "sys_fan" pin for the Mobo so I left it alone

ghostowl

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
i3-2120 Processor
Sapphire Radeon HD 6850 - 1GB
Ram Corsair 8 GB DDR3-1333
GIGABYTE GA-H61M-DS2
WD Hard Drive
Enermax 450W Power Supply
Antec 300 Case

I didnt do any testing beforehand

bwrlane

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010
My rule of thumb is that whenever pressing "on" after building a custom pc, be prepared for anything. Very rarely does it work without a glitch. These are my top causes of failure to get past the post stage.

1. Hdd led, reset, power, or power led connectors connected incorrectly. This is very easy to do as its not always clear from the manual which way round the plugs go. Check these. When wrongly connected the machine can fail post.

2. CPU power cable not connected. The mobo has 2 power sources, one is just for the CPU. Failure to connect will cause post failure

3. Power cable not connected to graphics cards. Again, this will cause post failure but often with an error msg.

Also, try doing a clear cmos.

It is hard to mess up a CMOS on day 1.

Breadboard the PC.

Take everything out of the case including the motherboard. Plug only the PSU into both places on the motherboard, put the CPU in the slot, thermal paste on it, and attach the heat sink, then put in the RAM and short the wire to start the computer.

It should start like that.

If you aren't using the spacers on the case to keep the motherboard from touching the case, then it will never boot. Use them if you aren't.