My new Desktop PC won't recognize my external hard-drives

Tobias Pedersen

Reputable
May 22, 2015
It let me Open one harddisk, then just stopped after I took it out, I've tried with my laptop and it works just fine. I've tried different harddisks and cables, ports and all the other stuff. It's my computer there is a problem with. I've cleared registers and fixed issues with CCleaner, still not working. If someone could he me I would be very grateful, as it would save me at least 20 hours of finding stuff online.

ezzy_s

Honorable
Sep 1, 2014
if its a brand new pc and not much has been installed on it yet, one quick option might be to just flash it back to factory settings? Either with the recovery disk or using a recovery parition if it had this instead. Might then be able to bottle out whether it is software or hardware issue

Hi there Tobias Pedersen,

From what you've explained, it seems that this is a driver related issue.

So, you can go to Device Manager: right click -> uninstall -> unplug the drive -> reboot system -> plug the drive back and wait to automatically install.

In case the issue persists, you can just go to your MOBO's website and update your USB drivers.

Cheers,
D_Know_WD

Prate_k

Reputable
Jul 8, 2015
Hi Tobias Pedersen
If it is saying device not recognised, check your windows microsoft update on net framework. I had a western digital, which i connected to my laptop and since i had recently reset (default factory state) the laptop it did not pick up the external drive, even with the driver installed. Maybe you have the same issue, see if you have to update net.framework. It worked for me. :)
hope it helps.