Question My New evo 970 plus nvme m2 is not working

Jun 3, 2020
When i try to boot up the pc it says reboot and select proper boot device. When u go into bios and try to change priorities I can’t see the new sad. I should be working fine since I had a usb enclosure for it so I could use caspers to back up my last ssd onto the new since I only have 1 ssd nvme slot in my pc. Ask me anything about my specs and I will try to answer it

Anton Hunter

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2013
Without seeing your system information, my first guess would be that you may be attempting to insert a SATA SSD into an NVME slot. IF that's the case, you'll need to establish compatibility issues for the motherboard and the SSD you're attempting to use. If the SSD slot on your mobo is for nvme (not SATA), you should insert an nvme rated SSD. Other than that, just make sure the card is inserted properly before screwing it down. If that still doesn't work...you'll need to contact support assistance at the manufacturers website.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2020
Without seeing your system information, my first guess would be that you may be attempting to insert a SATA SSD into an NVME slot. IF that's the case, you'll need to establish compatibility issues for the motherboard and the SSD you're attempting to use. If the SSD slot on your mobo is for nvme (not SATA), you should insert an nvme rated SSD.
I’m using the Samsung evo 970 plus nvme m.2 so I don’t know how it isn’t working

Jun 3, 2020
So it started out with me buying a new ssd because i needed more space in my pc but the thing is i have a really bad computer that one holds 1 nvme m.2 ssd spot so i had to replace it. I started by buying an usb enclosure to go with it and my plan was to clone my old ssd to the new i just bought. I really couldn't find any cloning program that worked because of the formatting but i ended up finding a forum about cloning and someone recommended to use caspers backup as cloning, and so i did. the new ssd was detected and everything was working fine while it was in the usb enclosure but when i took it out to replace with my old it just said "insert boot media in selected boot device" and when i clicked it just wrote it again underneath. Then i read some more forums about it and i figured that it properly was because it had loaded it wrong in the bios setting. so i checked to see if i could change the loading priority but when i checked i couldn't select the ssd as an option. i thought that it was weird since when i go to advanced setting and intergrated i could see the ssd and it seemed to be working fine. Then i tried downloading windows onto a usb media drive and it worked fine with installing but when it was done it went right back into the installation menu. then i tried taking the usb drive out when it said it had to restart but when i did that it just told me "insert boot media in selected boot device" again and that's where im stuck at rn.

The specs.

CPU Intel core I5-8400 2.80Ghz

24 Gb ram DDR4

Old ssd: Intel 600p Series NVMe PCIe M.2 256G

New ssd: Samsung 970 evo plus ssd Nvme M.2 Pcie 1 TB

Motherboard is acer but i can't find the exact name of it.

Bios is UEFI.

Any kind of comment will be helpfull as i've been stuck at this for an week and have looked at atleast 50 post about it without finding an answer.

Last edited:
Sata controller mode has to be set to AHCI (not RST with Optane).
If you installed windows in legacy mode, then set CSM to enabled.

Why are you showing those power shell screens with your windows key?

Can you show output of these commands:
diskpart
list disk
select disk 0
list partition
list volume

Jun 3, 2020
Sata controller mode has to be set to AHCI (not RST with Optane).
If you installed windows in legacy mode, then set CSM to enabled.

Why are you showing those power shell screens with your windows key?

Can you show output of these commands:
diskpart
list disk
select disk 0
list partition
list volume
My windows is in UEFI.

and <Mod Edit> . i forgot what it was for and then i just added it to the photo album because i trought it was a picture of bios.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 3, 2020
Do you have a second drive of any sort that you can connect to your system that's large enough to hold 1/2 of the data on your original drive? If so, then I think I have a solution you can try.
I got the other ssd that i can plug into an usb enclousere and use that? i also got a usb drive with 57 Gb but my original ssd is on 230 Gb.