Question My new external HDD is generating clicking noise and vibration, is that normal?

Sep 12, 2020
I just bought 2 new 3.5" external HDDs STEL10000400 and STEL6000200 and noticed that there is a clicking sound on both while copying files to my drive and if i touched the HDD or even the table that i put the HDD over it i feel a vibrations when the drive do those clicks. I recoreded and uploaded that noise/clicks sound to this link (noise in HDD_Noise_1.mp3 is more noticable) https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1pVl0rhxrnkrrEDsrDyFxL0Pg4slwjIoq

Also However my room tempreture is between 24-28c but my HDD runs too hot it even reached 64c and now the SMART HDD monitoring apps gives me a failure warning due to (BE) Airflow Temerature parameter as shown on the attached screenshots.
01.png

02.png

So i was wondering if that's normal or i should replace them?

Thanks

MoneyJoe

Honorable
May 2, 2015
I'm no expert, and I couldn't tell you a lot about the temperature (although a few searches indicate 64c is within normal limits), but hard drives will make noise and vibrate like you say, especially when in use, perhaps it's just that you are noticing it more because the drives are outside the PC enclosure? I had a listen to the audio clips and didn't hear anything that I've heard from defective hard drives in the past.

I'm sure, however, that someone more knowledgeable than me will be able to explain more definitively.

Hope this helps a bit