My new gaming pc turns off when i play games

jps199554

Prominent
Nov 17, 2017
I built a high end gaming PC last week and have had a plethora of issues. i believe i have fixed everything and now when i try to over clock my PC works until i play any game then it freezes and turns off. i think it is the PSU but i am newer to computers. i used the EZtuning feature in my bios thinking it would work like a charm and it did no such thing. here are my spec.
CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K Coffee Lake 6-Core 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz Turbo) LGA 1151
MB: ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) LGA1151 DDR4
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G3, 220-G3-0850-X1, 80+ GOLD, 850W Fully Modular
RAM: G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600
GPU: ASUS ROG GeForce GTX 1080 Ti DirectX 12 STRIX-GTX1080TI-O11G-GAMING 11GB
Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H100i V2 Extreme Performance Water / Liquid CPU Cooler. 240mm
Case: DIYPC Gamemax-W White Dual USB 3.0 ATX Full Tower Gaming Computer Case with Build-in 5 x Blue Fans
I have a 1tb ssd, 500gb ssd 250gb ssd and a 1tb hdd 7200
please help and thank you in advance.
i have corsair link for temps if i need to post!

Solution
I am sorry, but I do not believe any of you should be overclocking anything.

1) Overclocking can take weeks worth of testing. You have no business building and overclocking a computer just to play games on it a week later. Reset bios, turn the computer on, have fun with games.

2) This article sums up overclocking life spans. "the drop in lifespan is so small that your CPU is going to be obsolete by the time it dies whether you overclock it or not." Anyone using the cpu lifespan as any type of overclocking argument has no idea what they are talking about.

3) What was 3 again? Oh yeah that one that just makes you want to reach through the computer and slap the stupid out of someone. The main reason overclocking fails is...

Stuart_12

Commendable
Jun 13, 2016
What are you doing with the PC? Because if you are just playing games theres no need to OC it would just shorten the lifespan of your CPU. Also sounds like you need to turn up to voltage to make your OC stable.

asdgw

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2014
See if it crashes with no OC. If it does you are not doing it properly. The main reason of overclocking fails is because of the ram. Try increase the memory voltage .

DarkOutlaw

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
I am sorry, but I do not believe any of you should be overclocking anything.

1) Overclocking can take weeks worth of testing. You have no business building and overclocking a computer just to play games on it a week later. Reset bios, turn the computer on, have fun with games.

2) This article sums up overclocking life spans. "the drop in lifespan is so small that your CPU is going to be obsolete by the time it dies whether you overclock it or not." Anyone using the cpu lifespan as any type of overclocking argument has no idea what they are talking about.

3) What was 3 again? Oh yeah that one that just makes you want to reach through the computer and slap the stupid out of someone. The main reason overclocking fails is because people DO NOT KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING! This has nothing to do with RAM or memory voltage.

One two three strikes your out, please for the love of something, close this topic.

Solution

asdgw

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2014

It seems you know a lot. so why don't you help him instead of saying some nonsense.

DarkOutlaw

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012

I am sorry but I cannot make him research what he wants to do before doing it. The first rule of overclocking is read about overclocking. Google is your friend.