My New Gaming System

Coops07

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2005
Hey, I'm planning on building a new system for the Christmas holiday and I just had a few questions, mabye I could get some suggestions on possible parts. I live in Canada so any reference I or you make to prices, try to give it in Canadian. Right now the current setup i'm thinking of is:
Mobo: Asus A8N-SLI Premium or A8N32-SLI Deluxe
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3200+
PS: Enermax Liberty 500W
Memory: OCZ DDR Platinum 1GB(2x512M) PC3200
Case: Transformer Black Sunbeam Case
Optical: DVD-ROM Lite-On (Black) and DVD Burner Lite-On (Black)
Hard drive: Western Digital Caviar SATA (80GB)
Video Card: Considering XFX 6800 GS

The total for all these parts is around $1280(before tax). I got the prices from www.canadacomputers.com (cpu, dvd burner, hard drive) and www.infonec.com (everything else). Both have stores in toronto where I can drive too.
The thing I was doubting tho is the 6800 GS. From what I hear it is a very good card for the price. The only problem is it has only 12 pipelines, and unlike its 6800 brother, the GS cannot unlock to 16 pipelines as they do not exist. Does the extra 4 pipelines make a big difference? I heard good things about the x800GTO2 but there are 2 main reasons I want to stick with an Nvidia card. Better overclocking (if I need to, not saying I will) and SLI compatibility.
I also heard that if you only have 12 pipelines on your video card, it affects the processor? Could someone elaborate on this?
I was considering going Crossfire earlier on, but the only Mobo I found that supported it was the DFI one and also its around $260, not much more than the A8N32-SLI Deluxe, but thats why I said the option of the A8N-SLI Premium. Oh yeah, from what I read, the A8N32-SLI gives a performance boost, but I was wondering, is it really worth the extra money?
Feel free to comment on anything and make suggestions as I still have over a month until Christmas and look around and read up about parts.

pickxx

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
system looks great other then mobo...

its not worth the price....If you arn't OCing look for the chaintech VNF4 board...great board, isn't a lot ogf money.

About the 6800GS...it performs like the 6800GT because it has MUCH MUCH higher clocks. It only has 12 pipes and the GT has 16 but with the higher clock they really do perform the same. and the GS can still OC about 20% more as well.

The X800GTO^2 is a great card, it will unlock to an X850XT 100% of the time.....Meaning for the price of a X800GTO^2 you can have a X850XT and some have them over clocked upto and beyond PE editions as well.

You could go with either card....SLI and Crossfire isn't something i am a fan of. its something that you really don't need to do....bascially once you start needing a SLI situation you should upgrade your card....not add on.

So there ya go

Coops07

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2005
considering that the x800 gto2 is a good card, althought its not in stock right now, im sure it will be soon. if im not goin sli then what mobo would u recommend? i have in the past stuck with asus because of all the nice features they have and good tech. and if i don't go sli, then do i really need a 500W sli power supply? probably not. can u make any suggestions on power supplies. i really like enermax and so far the ocz one i have is doing alright. im looking to spend around 100-120 $ canadian, but if i can get a good ps for cheaper then i'm always up for that :D. also, just had a question, the reason I was looking at getting the platinum ocz pc 3200 memory was so i can overclock it. I read a lot about how its good to have the cpu bus match the memory speeds but I dont know a lot about it cuz i've never overclocked my system, this is why I probably want to start now. any other info you can tell me would be great. I was also looking at the 100gb sata II from Western digital which is only 30$ more so if i save money on the ps and mobo I can get that mabye.

emogoch

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2005
Try pricing the system you want a Grey-Tech Inc. This is where I got my new system, and they're located in Markham.

Just make sure you email them asking for a quote on the system. Since I was getting the whole thing from them, they knocked like $150 off the sticker price, taking below if I got the components individually from other retailers, plus them building it for me, though it wasn't the best job there. I redid most of the cables, and they never flashed the BIOS to get ti to properly recognize the X2.

That said, they also special ordered the RAM for me, so if they don't have the components you want advertised, ask them, cause the might either be on their way, or they can get them in a good amount of time. Could also check out Logic Computer House for individual parts. They're sometimes the best (though usually not).

Coops07

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2005
Ok just to sum everything up, I sent that grey-tech place the computer I want so we'll see how they quote it.
Just want to ask some questions:
-Since I'm not going SLI anymore, should I stick with the same motherboard (Asus A8N-SLI Premium)? Any Suggestions?
-What Power supply should I get, since I probably don't need 500W anymore. Any suggestions?
-How much of a performance increase (mostly loading stuff) from getting a WD SATA II vs the WD SATA I? Is it worth the extra 30$?
-When I overclock the x800 GTO2 should I get a new cooler for it?
-Overclocking the Memory with the CPU FSB, how's it work?

If you guys can answer these I'll be set. Thanks for all your help so far.

pickxx

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
Ok just to sum everything up, I sent that grey-tech place the computer I want so we'll see how they quote it.
Just want to ask some questions:
-Since I'm not going SLI anymore, should I stick with the same motherboard (Asus A8N-SLI Premium)? Any Suggestions?
-What Power supply should I get, since I probably don't need 500W anymore. Any suggestions?
-How much of a performance increase (mostly loading stuff) from getting a WD SATA II vs the WD SATA I? Is it worth the extra 30$?
-When I overclock the x800 GTO2 should I get a new cooler for it?
-Overclocking the Memory with the CPU FSB, how's it work?

If you guys can answer these I'll be set. Thanks for all your help so far.

Nope, if you arn;t going to use SLI but you are going to OC....EPoX EP-9NPA+Ultra Socket 939 is a great choice....or the DFI ultra-d

A 400W enermax or fortron source would be great

Personally its not worth it. SATAII has some marketing advantages. You shhouls just buy a regualr SATA HDD if you want to go the SATA route.

Nope, stock cooler will get yout to X850XT and beyond if you want.

The fsb is the standard spped for your computer. The cpu multiplies thefsb to get total speed....it uses the cpu multiplier. Ram uses it as well...so when you OC the cpu, you OC the RAM. You can use a ram divider, to keep your ram speed low(if you have crappy ram or your ram can't go as high as your cpu) and it will use a raito for your ram. Like 5:6, 4:5, 3:4 and then its that raito times your fsb to get your ram speed (Example, 250fsb*4:5=200Mh for your ram.)

Coops07

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2005
Ok, I see the DFI one but is there any Asus equivalent mobo's you recommend? I know DFI is good and I hear a lot of people talking about it but I love all the stuff that Asus throws in with their packages.
Are you sure 400W is enough? If i'm overclocking the video card and possibly the CPU won't I need 500W? Also, I don't really need the SLI/Crossfire PSU anymore although it is a good power supply from what i see. Should I stick with the Enermax Liberty 500W or go with a different Enermax power supply?
Lastly, if I'm OCing the video card to possibly a x850 PE if I can isin't it better for performance and also helps in the long run of the card if I get better cooling on it? Can you make any suggestions on coolers for the video card?
THX ur help has been great so far!

Edit: I also heard that the Ultra-D is a good mobo if you plan to OC but it can be a bit confusing to beginners?

pickxx

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
Yes, the DFI Ultra D is for patient beginers or experianced OCers

I dont like asus, so i dont know about what they have.

400W will be enough....if you want you can go to 450 or 500 but 400 from enermax or fortron source will be good for you even for OCing.

If you get a X800GTO^2(meaning squared) you will have a 100% chance of getting it to the X850XT....and you do not need extra cooling or anythign to do it....stock cooling will do ya.

Coops07

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2005
yea but what about the X850 platinum edition? its a little faster than the XT. even if the stock is good enough can u recommend some coolers anyway?

pickxx

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
Honestly i can't.....

I dont know what VGA coolers are the best.

Go to the Graphics card forum below at the very bottom of this list and post there and ask those people. Most likely they will know.

pickxx

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
Feel free to send me some money for the help....i am a brokeass kid.....take the money you saved and give me a 10% commission or something? lol :lol:

Coops07

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2005
sorry all the money I save is going to better parts. I want the best gaming rig for the money I have.

Edit: hey how bout I give a lil update on what im getting...

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3200+
Mobo: DFI Lanparty Ultra-D
Video Card: Sapphire X800 GTO2
Video Card Cooler: Zalman VF700-CU
Memory: OCZ Dual Channel EL Platinum (2x512mb) PC 3200
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar SATA 80GB
Power Supply: Enermax Liberty 500W
Case: Sunbeam Transformer Black
Optical Drives: Lite-On DVD-RW and DVD-ROM

THIS SYSTEM IS GUNNA PWN

pickxx

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
THIS SYSTEM IS GUNNA PWN

if you say that again i will dig your eyes your with a rusty spoon

Other then that everying looks good.....but i think you said you want to OC....have you budgeted a CPU cooler and fan?

btw....not cool that you're not going to send me money but want more help....NOT COOL!

Coops07

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2005
1. No rusty spooning please.
2. I do not plan on OCing the CPU right away and when I do I can get a CPU Cooler.
3. This isin't the only channel iv'e seen you asking for money on lol. Either you don't have a job or you like free stuff, but then again who doesnt.

pickxx

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
1. No rusty spooning please.
2. I do not plan on OCing the CPU right away and when I do I can get a CPU Cooler.
3. This isin't the only channel iv'e seen you asking for money on lol. Either you don't have a job or you like free stuff, but then again who doesnt.

Ok cool, get the HSF fan later, thats fine.

And i figure i save people money on here...sometimes 5bucks sometimes as much as $1000, and i get nothing for it. I guess Karma is going to be good to me or something.

I have a job, but i also like money and other items for free.....freeis just about the best prie around.