DanielMCUK

Honorable
Nov 10, 2012
Okay, so I've been asking around for a GPU in the price range of £100. I've been recommended to purchase this card:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-184-MS&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=

I am going to be buying this over the next couple of days hopefully. The problem I'm facing is that my PSU does not have the black 6 pin connector, however I believe the MSI HD 7770 comes with an adapter, I have a spare port coming from my PSU I could use to connect the external black 6 pin connector to to the GPU. Now, what I would like to know is, would this cause any issues?

My PSU Wattage is 500W (Recommended for the AMD Radeon HD7770) I'm not sure about the make or model.

Thanks, Dan.

NV88

Honorable
Nov 5, 2012
What are the rest of your PC specs, especially the PSU's model number, and what settings are you planning to game with?

What you have a 6+2 pin connector instead of a 6 pin ? is that what your saying?
Like this : http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/pcie6plus2.jpg
If it is you can plug in your gfx card as a 6 pin(the other 2 will be unplugged)

If its not, and your trying to do one of those things 4 pin molex to PCI-E adaptor cables then forget it can cause instability on the psu or even blow-up that crappy psu, you'll have either purchase a new psu from a decent brand 400w-500w or buy a 7750 which doesn't require external power.

DanielMCUK

Honorable
Nov 10, 2012
I have been looking at the 7750, is there much difference? I'm going to want to play GTAIV with max settings? I'm thinking of getting the Sapphire HD7750

hdeezie80

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012
Don't go below a 7770, low end cards get outdated quickly, but as far as GTA goes I can barely max it out with an i7 and a gtx 680, and I still can't play Fallout 3 for more than 30 minutes with out it crashing. I would forget about those two games if I was you they were just poorly optimized for PC don't even waste your money on them. San Andreas yeah, you'll be able to max it out no problem. Any other game you'll be able to play above 720x1280, somewhere in between medium and high with a 7770.

DanielMCUK

Honorable
Nov 10, 2012

The problem I face with the MSIHD7770 is that my PSU doesn't have the 6pin connector. From what I saw on the youtube vid is that I can use the little white connector and attach it to an adapter for a 6pin but aparently that will break my system?

HD 7770 will not work on that power supply unit. Sorry, it's just too weak. It might damage the card if you try to use the adapter.

I'd advice either getting HD 7750, which uses less power, or get a new power supply unit in addition to HD 7770.

DanielMCUK

Honorable
Nov 10, 2012
Thanks for the advice. I'm not an extreme gamer and won't be playing games like Crysis with the highest graphics. I'm more about playing San Andreas MP so aslong as the card runs that fine I'll be happy. Also, play my CODMW3 on high settings... I think the 7750 will be the best choice for me over this period untill I get a job and have a proper income which will allow me to spend allot more... Thanks for all the help guys, Sapphire HD7750 it is.