My new GTX 1070 G1 GAMING causes my pc to restart when gaming at 2560x1440 ?

Kobi Avrami

Prominent
Aug 4, 2017
Hi guys, I recently purchased a GTX 1070 G1 (used for bit less than a year), and it replaced my GTX 970 ASUS TURBO.

When started using it since yesterday, I started to get shut downs only when playing at 2560p.
Now the weird part is that I get those shut downs at games like Overwatch, Wildlands
But at Sniper Elite 4, GTA 5, they run just fine for a good amount of time, until I quit by myself.
Each games works perfectly at 1080p.
When I put wildlands at 1080p and then mid-game change it to 2560x1440, it runs for a minute or so, then it shuts down(the pc). When I launch the game again, I can see the main menu but as soon it loads the game, it shuts off

My rig:
PSU - A.PFC 80+ VS550 550W CORSAIR
CPU - I7-6700 3.4GHZ 1151 8MB
RAM - ADATA XPG Z1 2XGB DDR 2400MHZ (but my motherboard runs it just at 2133MHZ
MOTHERBOARD - SKYLAKE GA-H170-DS3H 1151 H170 GIGABYTE

I updated my motherboard bios, my gpu bios is 86.04.26.00.56, my nvidia driver version is 384.94.

Kobi Avrami What is the manufacturer and model number of PSU that you switched to? The Corsair VS models are of poor quality but I wouldn't have guessed that it caused your issue. I'm still not convinced that switching your power supply ultimately solved your problem. To me it's more likely that the CPU was overheating and hence rebooting your system, or that excess heat from your CPU and graphics card were causing your motherboard to reboot your system. I also would have guessed that the replacement power supply moderately improved the air flow inside the case, and hence the issue stopped. Just my two cents. Hopefully I'm wrong. Even if I'm right, the issue is easily correctable.

Kobi Avrami

Prominent
Aug 4, 2017
I switched to Thermaltake Toughpower 650W.
I don't know what about the VS550 was causing the system reboots, but, all I did was switch to a new PSU, and it is working great now under extreme pressures.
The store DID take back the vs550, and will give me a new psu without any charge, of equal quality. But they didn't check it, so I don't know if its defunct or not.
I bought the new one regardless of the one they are switching.
I will not install the new 550 psu that they will give me because I already got my cable management on, and switching a psu just to test stuff is a pain :)

TRENDING THREADS