Vends

Reputable
Aug 25, 2020
As said in the title, my gtx 1660 ti laptop is not performing how I expected. The laptop im using is medion erazer P15805. Somehow my brother on a 1050 is getting better fps, and I dont know why.
These are the specs:

gtx 1660 ti
CORE I5 9300H
8gb ram
256gb sdd
1tb hdd

Here are the games I tested:

Fortnite (low settings) - Average 90 FPS
Fortnite (epic settings) - Average 40 FPS
Rocket league (all high) - average 100 fps
CS:GO (all high) - average 100 fps
Minecraft with a few mods installed (lowest settings and tested in large multiplayer server) - average 110 Fps

I was also getting few random frame drops and stutters on all these games, all the way to as low as 7 fps, which I don't know why. I tested it on other smaller games, aswell. These also did not meet my expectations.

I have tried many different solutions such changing power settings and updating my nvidia graphic drivers, which I have. It is on latest version 452.06.

I was expecting to be touching atleast 200 fps on fortnite low settings, cs:go, and minecraft, as I did see in benchmarks, and I expect it will be the same for other games i'm yet to install such as rainbow six siege.
I was thinking about to overclock my CPU which would be the the hard way out of my problem as I think I should be getting more frames without needing to overclock.

What I mainly want to know is if weather it is a problem with my system, like not being set up properly, or if it is just that this is how my laptop is meant to be? Which I don't think it is. Any help is appreciated but I wish to find a solution. Thanks.

Solution
Hey there,

I've a similar laptop. Albeit my processor is a little stronger, for those types of games the performance would be very similar.

It could be that your CPU is thermal throttling. This would reduce it's speed from it's max boost speed of 4.1ghz to anywhere above 2.4 ghz (base clock). This has a big impact on expected FPS. Run an instance of HWMon or HWInfo, and run a CPU intensive task like OCCT or Prime, and just check if your CPU drops speed while at load. Most laptops run pretty hot on the CPU and GPU. If your CPU hits a certain temp the fans will also run loud and at full speed. This can be annoying.

In terms of the stuttering in game and FPS drops, it's very possible this is because you have only 8gbs of ram. Whilst you...
As said in the title, my gtx 1660 ti laptop is not performing how I expected. The laptop im using is medion erazer P15805. Somehow my brother on a 1050 is getting better fps, and I dont know why.
These are the specs:

gtx 1660 ti
CORE I5 9300H
8gb ram
256gb sdd
1tb hdd

Here are the games I tested:

Fortnite (low settings) - Average 90 FPS
Fortnite (epic settings) - Average 40 FPS
Rocket league (all high) - average 100 fps
CS:GO (all high) - average 100 fps
Minecraft with a few mods installed (lowest settings and tested in large multiplayer server) - average 110 Fps

I was also getting few random frame drops and stutters on all these games, all the way to as low as 7 fps, which I don't know why. I tested it on other smaller games, aswell. These also did not meet my expectations.

I have tried many different solutions such changing power settings and updating my nvidia graphic drivers, which I have. It is on latest version 452.06.

I was expecting to be touching atleast 200 fps on fortnite low settings, cs:go, and minecraft, as I did see in benchmarks, and I expect it will be the same for other games i'm yet to install such as rainbow six siege.
I was thinking about to overclock my CPU which would be the the hard way out of my problem as I think I should be getting more frames without needing to overclock.

What I mainly want to know is if weather it is a problem with my system, like not being set up properly, or if it is just that this is how my laptop is meant to be? Which I don't think it is. Any help is appreciated but I wish to find a solution. Thanks.

Hi, have you checked to make sure you are actually running on the 1660ti and not the igpu in the Core i5? You can usually force the gpu by right clicking on the game executable and using 'run with graphics processor' -> 'High Performance Nvidia processor' as otherwise it might default to the intel HD graphics to save power....

Hey there,

I've a similar laptop. Albeit my processor is a little stronger, for those types of games the performance would be very similar.

It could be that your CPU is thermal throttling. This would reduce it's speed from it's max boost speed of 4.1ghz to anywhere above 2.4 ghz (base clock). This has a big impact on expected FPS. Run an instance of HWMon or HWInfo, and run a CPU intensive task like OCCT or Prime, and just check if your CPU drops speed while at load. Most laptops run pretty hot on the CPU and GPU. If your CPU hits a certain temp the fans will also run loud and at full speed. This can be annoying.

In terms of the stuttering in game and FPS drops, it's very possible this is because you have only 8gbs of ram. Whilst you can get by on that, it really hinders gaming, as once the ram fills up, it starts to use the swap/page file on your SSD, which is slower than ram. This introduces the stuttering and FPS drops. Similarly my laptop came with 8gbs, and I too was disappointed with the stuttering. I got another 8gbs and that stuttering went away immediately. So maybe you could look at getting another 8gbs stick to add. It will help, also because it will give you dual channel which will give you a performance boost.

Like another poster said, make sure your bios is up to date, as are all your system drivers.

If your CPU is running hot and throttling, then you might look at Throttlestop or Intel XTU to undervolt your CPU. This will reduce the voltage going to the CPU, and can free up some thermal headroom for longer boost times, which equates to faster performance but with often much lower temps.

I'm not sure about the Medion CPU cooler and how efficient it might be. Ill see what I can find on it.

Reactions: Vends
Solution
Hi, have you checked to make sure you are actually running on the 1660ti and not the igpu in the Core i5? You can usually force the gpu by right clicking on the game executable and using 'run with graphics processor' -> 'High Performance Nvidia processor' as otherwise it might default to the intel HD graphics to save power....

TBH, I don't think the OP would get anywhere near 90 fps on low on the Intel iGPU.

Vends

Reputable
Aug 25, 2020
Does your brother use a pc and not a laptop?

Update the Bios of the laptop
Run userbenchmark and post the link of your result page
Yes, my brother uses a laptop aswell,

Here are the results: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/32183706
I'm not sure if my bios is the correct version, but I never thought that upgrading my bios would effect the performance for my pc. It seems a bit risky too and I cant seem to find any bios downloads from the medion website

Vends

Reputable
Aug 25, 2020
Yes, I have definitely checked. I also set all the settings to use high performance nvidia graphics card instead of the integrated graphics.

Vends

Reputable
Aug 25, 2020
Hey there,

In terms of the stuttering in game and FPS drops, it's very possible this is because you have only 8gbs of ram. Whilst you can get by on that, it really hinders gaming, as once the ram fills up, it starts to use the swap/page file on your SSD, which is slower than ram. This introduces the stuttering and FPS drops. Similarly my laptop came with 8gbs, and I too was disappointed with the stuttering. I got another 8gbs and that stuttering went away immediately. So maybe you could look at getting another 8gbs stick to add. It will help, also because it will give you dual channel which will give you a performance boost.

Like another poster said, make sure your bios is up to date, as are all your system drivers.

If your CPU is running hot and throttling, then you might look at Throttlestop or Intel XTU to undervolt your CPU. This will reduce the voltage going to the CPU, and can free up some thermal headroom for longer boost times, which equates to faster performance but with often much lower temps.

I'm not sure about the Medion CPU cooler and how efficient it might be. Ill see what I can find on it.

Thanks for the help, but does updating the bios really help with perforance? Secondly, about the ram, that is something I have been looking into, and will take into deeper consideration, but I dont think that these are the causes of my problem. As I said before, me brother has 1050 and 8gb of ram, and gets better performance on csgo, rainbow six siege and fortnite and runs higher fps than me, So there must be a bigger problem.

I don't think userbench is gonna show up much here
The bench is showing CPU throttling and the system is not working as intended
the exact model name is Medion ERAZER P15805 MD61592
the driver versions used are shown
BIOS version shouldn´t be a problem, according to other users with this system
other users got better results:
https://www.userbenchmark.com/System/Medion-ERAZER-P15805-MD61592/180095

Are the games installed on the HDD?
check the HDD with CrystalDiskInfo

download the nvidia driver directly from nvidia.com
use ddu uninstaller to remove the nvidia driver
install the downloaded driver

Last edited:

I guess your missing the point, userbench won't tell you how it's throttling or whats causing the throttling, only that it is, compared to other systems with that set up.. The point of using HWMon/Info, is to pinpoint the issue, and have exact details of what's happening and where. As I said, userbench is not a diagnostic tool, it only shows comparative performance. Its not something that will help to figure out the issue.

Thanks for the help, but does updating the bios really help with perforance? Secondly, about the ram, that is something I have been looking into, and will take into deeper consideration, but I dont think that these are the causes of my problem. As I said before, me brother has 1050 and 8gb of ram, and gets better performance on csgo, rainbow six siege and fortnite and runs higher fps than me, So there must be a bigger problem.

Yes, updating the bios, 'can' improve performance.

In terms of the ram, well, that's your decision. I've already explained what can happen when ram maxes out, and also the benefits of dual channel. You're losing out on anything from 10-20% performance by not having dual channel ram. This on top of your CPU possibly throttling, can add up to the issues you have.

Again, like I've mentioned, if your CPU is throttling, you can use Throttlestop/Intel XTU to undervolt, which helps with temps and can actually give more performance with less heat output.

If you need help with TS/Intel XTU, feel free to PM me.

Good luck with finding your solution.

Vends

Reputable
Aug 25, 2020

Yes, my games are on the HDD. Putting them on the SDD wouldn't make much of a big difference, as it only increases loading times. For the nvidia drivers, I've already updated them to the latest from geforce experience. would uninstalling them and reinstalling make a difference?

I guess your missing the point, userbench won't tell you how it's throttling or whats causing the throttling, only that it is, compared to other systems with that set up.. The point of using HWMon/Info, is to pinpoint the issue, and have exact details of what's happening and where. As I said, userbench is not a diagnostic tool, it only shows comparative performance. Its not something that will help to figure out the issue.
That´s true, but as a 1st step it´s much more reliable and faster to get informations/ an overview the op didn´t provide.
This result helps to show in one hyperlink which device could be the issue. In this case CPU or HDD, eventually GPU.
In this forum some users doesn´t know how to upload pictures quickly and posting a link instead is much more convenient.

hwinfo is great to expand the search of the problem in detail and have a look at nearly all values you might wanna know.

Yes, my games are on the HDD. Putting them on the SDD wouldn't make much of a big difference, as it only increases loading times. For the nvidia drivers, I've already updated them to the latest from geforce experience. would uninstalling them and reinstalling make a difference?
did you`actually install a game on the SSD to check or do you just assume it would be that way?

use ddu uninstaller to remove the driver completely to have a look if it helps. Sometime driver residues can have a negative effect
also installing the drivers freshly by downloading the drivers from nvidia.com and not by updating via experience can help as well
https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/162984/en-us

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

Running games on a HDD can hurt in game performance - although it shouldn't reduce average fps in the way you are describing (and probably isn't an issue in games like CS:GO). Where installing on an SSD really matters is in large open world titles, many of these games stream in the environment on the fly as you are moving around the map - when running the game on a HDD the transfer rate is too slow resulting in stalls during loading as well as visual pop-in of objects and textures. I agree with you though that I don't think that is your issue in this case.

The single channel ram in your system will reduce fps as memory access speed is an important factor in hitting high frame rates, that is probably at least partially responsible for the problem. Thermal throttling of the cpu and / or gpu is probably the other cause, as other have said running HW Monitor in the background whilst running a game would be useful as you can keep a close eye on all the temps, if either the cpu or gpu goes over 90C it will throttle down which will cap performance.

Vends

Reputable
Aug 25, 2020
Running games on a HDD can hurt in game performance - although it shouldn't reduce average fps in the way you are describing (and probably isn't an issue in games like CS:GO). Where installing on an SSD really matters is in large open world titles, many of these games stream in the environment on the fly as you are moving around the map - when running the game on a HDD the transfer rate is too slow resulting in stalls during loading as well as visual pop-in of objects and textures. I agree with you though that I don't think that is your issue in this case.

The single channel ram in your system will reduce fps as memory access speed is an important factor in hitting high frame rates, that is probably at least partially responsible for the problem. Thermal throttling of the cpu and / or gpu is probably the other cause, as other have said running HW Monitor in the background whilst running a game would be useful as you can keep a close eye on all the temps, if either the cpu or gpu goes over 90C it will throttle down which will cap performance.

Okay, thanks for the reply. single channel ram may be the cause of my problem, I'll have to find out for myself, ill also try the other solution