My new hard drive is not working

jbball

Reputable
May 10, 2015
Hi i am having problems with a new hard drive. I have Windows 7 booted onto a 120 gb ssd. I just bought a new 1 tb hard drive and it kept giving me bsod, so i returned it. I got another one and it was working finr for awhile and now whenever i try to access fules on it it bsods. Any help is appreciated

Solution
Welcome to the community, jbball!

Can you give us more details about the BSOD error code? Another thing I want you to clear out is whether you had only the SSD plugged in the system when you were installing Windows on it or there was an HDD plugged as well during the installation process?
A necessary troubleshooting I'd suggest is testing the drive using your hard drive manufacturer's diagnostics tool to check up on the health and SMART status. You should be able to find it on their website. Feel free to share the results as well.

Keep me posted! :)
SuperSoph_WD
Welcome to the community, jbball!

Can you give us more details about the BSOD error code? Another thing I want you to clear out is whether you had only the SSD plugged in the system when you were installing Windows on it or there was an HDD plugged as well during the installation process?
A necessary troubleshooting I'd suggest is testing the drive using your hard drive manufacturer's diagnostics tool to check up on the health and SMART status. You should be able to find it on their website. Feel free to share the results as well.

Keep me posted! :)
SuperSoph_WD

Solution

jbball

Reputable
May 10, 2015
Thank you for replying SuperSoph_WD,

I am unable to read the bsod error codes because the bsod screen only lasts a fraction of a second on my computer. I installed windows onto the ssd and then put in the hard drive a couple weeks later.

I see, well, unfortunately it seems like almost any component can be causing this. :( However, to rule out any software issue, I'd suggest you to re-install Windows 7 on the SSD (just make sure you unplug the HDD again, while doing this).

If the problem persists, my suggestion would be to start testing each component one by one. Since you've already replaced the HDD and you keep getting the BSOD, we should start looking for root of the issue somewhere else. I'd recommend to start by running memtest on the RAM. Here's a tutorial that might help you with that: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/faq/id-1906201/test-memory-memtest.html

If everything is okay with it, then you might as well try to troubleshoot by testing the GPU: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2189736/test-graphic-card-working-fine.html

If that doesn't help, I'd suggest you to go to a professional computer repair services to test the power supply in the computer.

Keep me posted though!
SuperSoph_WD