Question My new HDD DOA or something else?

Oct 9, 2022
Hey all, posted this on other forums but just need help with this so anything is appreciated!

Recently upgraded my computer with my new 6900XT and 850W PSU. Long story short, everything went smoothly apart from my 2TB Seagate Barracuda, Windows would recognise the hard drive but wouldn’t let me use it, format it or anything, stuck with a hard drive with a “Healthy (RAW Partition)”

Crystal Disk Info showed the hard drive health was ‘Bad’ and that the ‘Spin Retry Count’ was the issue. So posted on some forums and many said to stop using it and get a new one. Bummed but okay.

Fast forward to today, Sunday, my new hard drive arrived, another 2TB Barracuda and sure enough, the exact same issue! Even Crystal Disk Info is saying the hard drive is ‘Bad’ and the exact same ‘Spin Retry Count’ error. So I am absolutely stumped folks, this is fresh, brand new hard drive out of the bag and it supposedly has the exact same error so I don’t know what to do but please can some lend some insight. Will post full specs below.

Ryzen 5 5600X
MSI X570 Gaming Edge Wi-Fi Motherboard
Gigabyte RX 6900 XT OC
256GB Samsung 970 M.2 SSD (Windows)
128GB Kingston SSD (Backup)
2TB Seagate Barracuda
850W Corsair RM850X

Oct 9, 2022
Format it and assign drive letter.

Why did you choose Barracuda? Those are all SMR drives with terrible write performance.

Windows won’t let me format the drive. Will let me do everything in Diskpart, up until formatting the drive where it just flat out refuses

Cant do it in File Explorer, Disk Management or even using third party software won’t work either. Can see the drive, can clean it and create partitions but can’t format it at all.

To be honest, price. My other drive that (supposedly) failed was perfect for two years up until I did this upgrade on Friday, now according to windows, both that drive and this fresh, brand new one are supposedly dead and both have the exact same error, down to the same numbers and everything.

Oct 9, 2022
What error do you get?

When I format it in Disk Management I just get;

“The format did not complete successfully”

In File Explorer;

“Windows was unable to complete the formatting”

and in third party software I used (like AOMEI). It says it would complete but then immediately refreshed to say it was ‘unallocated’.

Oct 9, 2022
Seems to be DOA.
What is the purpose of this 2TB drive? How did you intend to use it?

Depending on usage scenario, this model might not be suitable.
Bummed. Just can’t understand how my old drive worked perfect up until I switched out those parts and now it’s dead and the new one I ordered is also DOA. Either a weird coincidence or I’m just seriously unlucky.

Mainly, its use was to be just storage for my games, stuff like Assassins Creed and Warzone and all. That’s mainly it.

Oct 9, 2022
Okay, so many hours later I’ve returned to this and here we are.

The issue is now resolved because…the SATA cable wasn’t plugged in the full way. Noticed it straight away when I took the 6900XT out of the way and got in properly at it, cable popped right out when obviously it shouldn’t because you should have to push down on the tab on top.

Plugged it in fully, fired everything back up and sure enough, without touching anything, hard drive was ready to go in Windows.

so yeah, certified dunce here and lesson learned. Check. Your. Cables.

TRENDING THREADS