[SOLVED] My new MB has 8+4-pin connectors, my PSU has not. Can I do this?

ArnsteinB

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
My new MB has 8+4-pin connectors, my PSU has not. Can I do this?

My question is, with words; Can I use only 4 of the pins from the 6-pin? (6+2). The two unused will then be in en empty space between the 4,- and 8-connector.

PSU-to-MB med text.jpg

Last edited:
Solution
/ generally means or.
Just try it with the 8 pin as it should work. Your only other alternative is to buy a new psu with the 4 extra pins.

The c/d connector isnt always needed as some gpus dont need any extra power (like a 1050ti)
It is used for gpus only, and shouldnt be used your cou power. If you were to try it, the connector likely wouldnt fit. If you forced it problems would certainly occur. At minimum no post untill the proper connectors are used.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
in the manual page 2-7
connect the 8-pin or both the 8-pin and the 4-pin
you only need to power the 8-pin for the system to work.
the PCIe cables are wrong and should not connect without a fight, the pinouts are different 6 pins will be the same the last 2 are reversed, square on top vs square on bottom.
hHqvw.jpg

CPU aux

PCIe
6OiqY.jpg

cable A is all you need

Last edited:
You can boot the computer with just the 8 pin (A) connected. You really dont need the 4 pin (B) connector for existing chips (like a 2700x)

The (C+D) PCIe 6+2 pins are ment for graphics card supplementary power and cannot be used for cpu power as they are keyed differently and the pinouts are different.

Dont try to force the PCIe power connectors to work as CPU power or you may cause severe damage to your computer.

Last edited:

ArnsteinB

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
check the other end of the cable, the end that connect to the motherboard

make and model of the motherboard and psu?

and no, 6+2 is for pcie gpu

MB: ASUS ROG CROSSHAIR VII HERO WI-FI, S-AM4

PSU: XFC PRO850W XXX EDITION SEMI MODULAR

"check the other end of the cable, the end that connect to the motherboard": I knew my problem would be difficult to explain :) Could you please study the image again...?

ArnsteinB

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
1) You can boot the computer with just the 8 pin (A) connected. You really dont need the 4 pin (B) connector for existing chips (like a 2700x)

2) The (C+D) PCIe 6+2 pins are ment for graphics card supplementary power and cannot be used for cpu power as they are keyed differently and the pinouts are different.

3) Dont try to force the PCIe power connectors to work as CPU power or you may cause severe damage to your computer.

1) Manual: "Do not forget to connect the 4-pin/8pin EATX12 V power plug. Otherwise the system will not boot."

I assume they mean BOTH the 4 and 8 pin...?

2) If I was talking about a fixed cable coming out of the PSU, I would agree. But, I'm talking about a loose cable ("C/D")

3) Answered under "2"...? The end I have called "D" fits perfectly into the PSU-ports called "PCI-E/CPU". No force needed.

ArnsteinB

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
in the manual page 2-7
connect the 8-pin or both the 8-pin and the 4-pin
you only need to power the 8-pin for the system to work.

Manual: "Do not forget to connect the 4-pin/8pin EATX12 V power plug. Otherwise the system will not boot." I assume they mean BOTH 4,- and 8-pin...?

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
Manual: "Do not forget to connect the 4-pin/8pin EATX12 V power plug. Otherwise the system will not boot." I assume they mean BOTH 4,- and 8-pin...?

no. the 8-pin will deliver the power needed. if you wish to overclock more power will be needed and the 4-pin will help but at stock speeds the 8-pin is the only requirement for the system to work.
the extra 4-pin is for later if you ever decide to overclock, more power.
for now you have what you need to get the system running

ArnsteinB

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
either try it like the other said. or get a new psu that have both.

Thanks.
I belive I found the answer here:

https://superuser.com/questions/137...pin-cpu-power-plug-for-my-msi-b450-pro-carbon

("....From experience, it suffices to install the 8 pin connector on the left.

The right 4-pin-connector is basically a redundancy that the CPU may draw upon under extreme load most likely only relevant when you do extreme overclocking.

(The board manufacturers most likely also build in some more extra room in case the next CPU generation needs more power.)

So only connect the 2 ports on the left, and leave the right one empty. If your system won't boot or doesn't run stable, only then you should consider buying the extra cable or upgrading your PSU...."

/ generally means or.
Just try it with the 8 pin as it should work. Your only other alternative is to buy a new psu with the 4 extra pins.

The c/d connector isnt always needed as some gpus dont need any extra power (like a 1050ti)
It is used for gpus only, and shouldnt be used your cou power. If you were to try it, the connector likely wouldnt fit. If you forced it problems would certainly occur. At minimum no post untill the proper connectors are used.

Reactions: ArnsteinB
Solution