My new monitor gives my eyes a tough job..

Alanthor

Reputable
Mar 17, 2014
Hi,

I got a new monitor a week ago (BenQ XL2411Z), 24'' 144hz.

But this new monitor is tougher for my eyes to look on. My previous monitor (Samsung 22'' 60hz) wasnt like this. I could play for 12hours straight without strain eyes like dry eyes, sore etc..

Now, I can barely play ~4hours untill my eyes is telling me to stop. That makes me think that this gotta be incorrect settings or something, or maybe its because of its 2'' larger and its 144hz, not 60...(?)

Anyways, anyone got any ideas/thoughts? Here's my settings:
Gamma - 3
Brightness - Different from time to time
Contrast - Different aswell. But for example, if I have Brightness set to 70, I have Contrast on ~30.
AMD CCC Saturation: 130

xeonox

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
you may also want to try to find a 'flicker free' monitor that uses DC current instead of Pulse Width Modulation to control brightness. PWM has been known to cause eyestrain to some people (such as myself). You may also have to play with the brightness and contrast settings, try tuning them down, some monitors are just way too bright and are meant for very well lit rooms, if you are in a dim to dark room, you may have to adjust brightness/contrast. Also glare is your worst enemy, eliminate glare first.

to answer your question 144hz may cause eyestrain if your monitor was spec'd at 144hz but its more of a "overlocked 144hz" or if your video card/video drivers doesnt properly support it may cause eyestrain due to it fluctuating the 144hz, try settings a lower refresh rate for a few days and see if it helps.

AdamZ1337

Prominent
Jul 3, 2019
Did you ever figured it out? I have the same problem... With old 27" 60Hz flicker free monitor I have never felt eye strain, with 20" 60Hz monitor using PWM technology my eyes weren't strained too and now I got 24,5" 144Hz monitor with flicker free technology and after two weeks I can't look at it...
I downloaded color settings from official acer website and set brightness to 10, contrast to 30.
I would be very helpful if you could tell me what can I do :(