My new PC build

Akaltar

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
Hello guys, i am new here and I wanna ask the community about my new PC build....

I started with buying an ASUS AM3 mobo(M4a78LT M LE) along with a phenom II x4 945e CPU which i generally use for rendering in some graphics intensive programs. I started out with 2GB DDR3 RAM leaving 1 slot open and using the buildin graphics card. I used some nonname very bad quality 450W PSU which barely got my system working. I also had a 160GB IDE cabled HDD and a 500GB SATA II.

heres my new build which i havent bought yet, because i am not sure if my PSU will be enough.

Mobo: Asus M4A78LT M-LE
GPU: Sapphire HD 6850 Toxic edition
CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 945e
RAM: Corsair XMS3 2x4GB Ram (1333Mhz)
PSU: Corsair TXV2EU 650W or OCZ 650W or OCZ 750W
HDD: 160GB IDE, 512GB Sata II, external HDD USB 2.0 1TB(WD)
got also a Macinthosh keyboard cuz its just awesome....
and a Wacom Bamboo Fun touch + Pen tablet input device.

I am 15yrs old and quite a computer maniac, I am learning programming in c++ trying to create some nice 3D stuff with 3ds Max, Realflow, and now BouJou(camera tracking). I built this PC completely alone , and from the money I collected in about 3yrs.

want some opinions on my build, especially on the Ram(as its not in the QVL) and the PSU(as I am not sure if it will be enough)

Sorry for my bad english, I am not an english nativespeaker.

Hey,

I'd recommend buying an AM3+ motherboard with 900-series chipset for Bulldozer upgradability. I'd also recommend the X4 955 BE over what you selected. If you can, get 1600 MHz RAM it's not much more expensive. I've had bad experiences with Corsair memory but I'm sure they're not all bad. I prefer Kingston.

You don't need 650W PSU unless you're planning to CrossFire. Buy an internal 1 TB HDD, it's going to be faster than a 160 GB one. There's really no point buying external ones until your case can't fit any more internal ones IMO :lol:

For C++ I recommend Lippman, Lajoie, Moo: C++ primer 4th edition, Addison-Wesley, 2005 :D

Akaltar

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
the things i mentioned in the text part are things i already have.
the mobo and the cpu, i may go for kingston as I heard that its better from a lot of sources, I also already have the 1TB external HDD and I just love it, I really store a lot of data on it and use its portability too. the 160GB IDE is a HDD left from my previous pc.
I am not planning to go CrossFire(it would be hard with only 1 pci-e slot on my mobo :) ) and also i forgot to tell that i am using an old case wich i upgraded with some custom holes and fans on it.

for the book: I prefer to use tutorials on the internet, and i included the c++ thing so you know what i am using my pc for, but Thanks anyways :)

and thanks for the good advice. Sure 650W will be enough to run my PC real stable? (I am planning to OC the GPU as Toxic edition is quite a lot for that)