Question My new PC fans spin for half a second, then stops.

Santiago A.

Reputable
Aug 4, 2020
So, I just bought an MSI A320M-A PRO MAX/Ryzen 5 3400g and 2x4gb RAM DDR4 2666mhz. Let's just say I'm on a budget and can't really get better stuff at the moment.

All of this, "running" on a Sentey BXP 600watts PSU. No certification at all, just a generic PSU.

The thing is... when I installed my processor with the RAM's and the cooler, I connected every cable and pressed the power button. My fans spinned for less than half a second and then stopped. I checked a thousand times that every connector is on the right spot and everything. I pressed the fck%"$"$!n button a few more times and the same thing happened, fans spin, and then they die.

My old system is an i3 4170, 4gb RAM ddr3, and a B85m motherboard (If im not mistaken).

I connected my old PC to the PSU (to check if it was dead or something) and everything went smooth.

Anyone got an idea of what's happening? I mean, I get that my PSU is a generic one, with no certification whatsoever but... the new PC has a power consumption of like 200w or even LESS than that.

I tried a lot of things, running with only one ram, withouth ram, checked if my CPU was badly installed... (I readed the troubleshooting guide on the forum and did everything there too)

I began working on this today 8:30AM. I stopped at like 17:00PM. I'm so frustrated right now, I don't know what to do. I think the problem may be the PSU (it sounds weird to me but idk) or maybe the motherboard is dead, or the CPU... I don't know.

Sorry for my bad english and hope someone can help me with this,

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Have you confirmed the A320 board has had a BIOS update to support the 3400G? That motherboard launched long before the APU....

While the PSU won't be helping the situation (and I suggest you look to replace it ASAP), if it can power the older system it should be able to power this, although questionable PSUs tend to have.. well, questionable behaviour, so I wouldn't rule it out.

Santiago A.

Reputable
Aug 4, 2020
Have you confirmed the A320 board has had a BIOS update to support the 3400G? That motherboard launched long before the APU....

While the PSU won't be helping the situation (and I suggest you look to replace it ASAP), if it can power the older system it should be able to power this, although questionable PSUs tend to have.. well, questionable behaviour, so I wouldn't rule it out.

Hi, thanks for your response.
Well, on the retailors page it says the BIOS is updated, and the box has the Ryzen 3000 Ready sticker.
Yeah, I know the PSU is... Not good at all, but stuff here is expensive AF (A PSU with 80+ white is like 4 or 5 times the price in the US or other country. I thought I could get away with it because the system doesn't really consume that much. I'll be talking to the retailor to see if they can check everything is fine, and maybe replace it if it's not.
Thanks.