Question My new PC is slower then my 5 year old PC ?

Jun 6, 2022
My new pc build is actually lagging with games, where my older pc has no problem to run them.

New PCOld PC
8th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-8700K8th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-8700
32GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM16GB DDR4 2400MHz
512GB PCIe NVMe M.2 Solid State Drive512GB PCIe Solid State Drive
NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 3080 , 10GBNVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 1080
Motherboard H310M-ATTUF B360M-PLUS GAMING S
PSU 650 MW GoldPSU 500 MW
New PC benchmarkOld PC beanchmark

Both of them connect to the same 2k gaming Dell monitor. I was not expecting a big performance boost from new as the processor is slightly better. But it actually runs much slower and lags, with same graphic settings. What could be the problem with slowness, how to troubleshoot this kind of problem, any assistance is appreticated. Thank you

JWNoctis

Respectable
Jun 9, 2021
I think a 650W PSU might be a bit underpowered for an RTX3080 and an i7-8700K. Get HWINFO and check performance limit reason.

Depending on brand, your motherboard might actually be a downgrade. I don't think H310 supports overclocking RAM and yours is running at stock DDR4 speed. Your drive is also running at SATA speed, for some reason.

Which brand of PSU, too?

My new pc build is actually lagging with games, where my older pc has no problem to run them.

New PCOld PC
8th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-8700K8th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-8700
32GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM16GB DDR4 2400MHz
512GB PCIe NVMe M.2 Solid State Drive512GB PCIe Solid State Drive
NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 3080 , 10GBNVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 1080
Motherboard H310M-ATTUF B360M-PLUS GAMING S
PSU 650 MW GoldPSU 500 MW
New PC benchmartOld PC beanchmark

Both of them connect to the same 2k gaming Dell monitor. I was not expecting a big performance boost from new as the processor is slightly better. But it actually runs much slow and lags, with same graphic settings.
What could be the problem with slowness, how to troubleshoot this kind of problem, any assistance is appreticated. Thank you
Thats a massive downgrade for the mobo, even with a K cpus ideally would use a Z370 or Z390 mobo to enable the 3200mhz ram (since your current ram only ran at 2666 at best), also the psu could under power the current take.

Jun 6, 2022
PSU model is cooler master. WME 650 Gold.
HWinfo
I was guessing its mobo issue. As according to google PSUs wont effect performance, they either run or don't, if powers is not enough, but I'm not sure, if you uys know better.
So new mobo should fix the issue, something like z370?
Currently its not even fully utilising cpu, it runs at 60-70% max, and 50-60 % GPU during game.

PSU model is cooler master. WME 650 Gold.
HWinfo
I was guessing its mobo issue. As according to google PSUs wont effect performance, they either run or don't, if powers is not enough, but I'm not sure, if you uys know better.
So new mobo should fix the issue, something like z370?
Currently its not even fully utilising cpu, it runs at 60-70% max, and 50-60 % GPU during game.
"According to Google" you meant psu calc? RTX 3000 series often having psu tripping issues while this is not the problem, im kinda sure that MWE 650 is trying its best to lift the current request for 3080. I prefer to go on a good 750w psu.

As for mobo, it's always up to you i you want to upgrade it. But with that K series cpu, i would just go for a good affordable Z390 mobo.

That's still a bottleneck 5-10% during gaming is more normal. A modern GPU requires a modern CPU.
Even if it's bottlenecked the cpu is plenty enough, if talkin abt bottleneck, then he should go for 12th gen. "Bottleneck" begone.

It's not a good reason to say it's the cause if the cpu is already good enough. It's literally the 3rd refresh of skylake, no much difference with 10400F, albeit the cache.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I don't think the PSU is causing performance issues, though it's absurd to pair this PSU with a high-end GPU like a 3080.

You're going to be more detailed about the performance. "Runs much slow" doesn't say very much. Let's get details and data.

And to head off the issue at the pass, you did fully wipe and reinstall Windows after the motherboard change rather than cut corners and slap the old one in there, correct?

Jun 6, 2022
New pc was built with this mobo. The only changes was done after windows installation is cpu's was swapped, and gpu was plugged in later on. You think resetting windows would help regards of performance?
Do you have any specific tool to compare 2 pc's side by side in such cases? I play Dota and Pubg with identical graphic settings, and easily can tell that new pc runs slow, as it statters and drops fps; whereas my old pc runs both of the games smooth without any statters.
For PSU, you are right, I built it for 3070 to buy later on. But during shopping, got too excited and went for 3080 as one shop sold last item for almost to the price of 3070 :D

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
New pc was built with this mobo. The only changes was done after windows installation is cpu's was swapped, and gpu was plugged in later on. You think resetting windows would help regards of performance?
Do you have any specific tool to compare 2 pc's side by side in such cases? I play Dota and Pubg with identical graphic settings, and easily can tell that new pc runs slow, as it statters and drops fps; whereas my old pc runs both of the games smooth without any statters.
For PSU, you are right, I built it for 3070 to buy later on. But during shopping, got too excited and went for 3080 as one shop sold last item for almost to the price of 3070 :D

So, completely separate PCs, not an upgrade? Are these new parts or used parts? Some of these parts are going on five years old.

Jun 6, 2022
Its a long story, I dont want to go much detail, but in short yes, its 2 complete PC's in different cases. CPU's are old, one with K one without.

The global decrease in performance with the new PC, is entirely due to the H310M-AT mobo.
Your RAM is limited to 2666MT/s with a 8700K CPU, and the M2 connector is a PCIe 2.0 x2 model.
Only these 2 factors would explain the bench data in your first post

The CPU simply can not send enough data sufficiently quickly to really exploit your massive GPU (even if the PSU would be OK).

Jun 6, 2022
Thanks for shedding some light here, so I suppose, even if I upgrade to z390, I won't be able to make use of 3200MHZ.
What if i swap mobos, would it get better?
I comared tech specs of mobos myself, couldn't get more info from documents.

Enable xmp in the bios.
I went into bios, it looks like its enabled by default? Im confused even if this mobo supports it

Thanks for shedding some light here, so I suppose, even if I upgrade to z390, I won't be able to make use of 3200MHZ.
What if i swap mobos, would it get better?
I comared tech specs of mobos myself, couldn't get more info from documents.

I went into bios, it looks like its enabled by default? Im confused even if this mobo supports it
No idea what your bios looks like.
Set it to disabled see if ram speed changes.
Test with just one stick of ram see if you can change ram speed.

Jun 6, 2022
And yes on a z390 mobo you could use the full speed of your RAm (3200 MT/S). The limitation in on your H310 mobo
1. What I understood from your previous post, my cpu limits ram speed to 2666, even if I change mobo to z390? Or ram speed works independent of CPU speed?

2. I meant by swap mobo, swapping my existing 2, without buying z390. You think I would gain performance? Im not so experiencd in pc builds, it would take me alot of time to actually try it, if I dont break it, so any good advice is appreciated.
Did you used DDU after plugging the new GPU, you must completly erase old video drivers and install the new ones, use DDU for that.
Nvidia driver was installed after i bought gpu, I didn't have it installed prio to that.
can you post picture from GPU-Z?
GPU Z

And here is XMP. I think its enabled

Last edited:
Regarding your questions:
  1. Your RAM is limited to 2666 MT/S on both of your motherboards. But on a z390 mobo, it can work at 3200 MT/s.
  2. From your picture I don't think XMP is enabled. What is clear from this picture is that the RAM functions at 2400 MHZ, which is the basic speed of your sticks.
The problem is that even if you could enable XMP in Bios, your RAM probably has only XMP profiles for 3200 Mhz, and no intermediary profile for 2666 Mhz.
Therefore it would function at 2400 MHz whatever setting (Auto or XMP) you try to enable.

Maybe there is a possibility of overclocking your RAM manually in the Bios, but I am not familiar with your Bios.

Edit: I do not think that on a H310 mobo you can manually overclock RAM

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Since you apparently did not build the PC yourself, can't you simply return the new one? Purchasing an entirely new build when the only major upgrades are the GPU makes very little sense. The CPU upgrade wasn't very important, the RAM upgrade little better, you somehow downgraded the motherboard, and whiles you upgraded from an awful PSU, you didn't even get a PSU appropriate for a 3080. Even if everything was performing well, this whole new PC is absolutely bewildering.

Once you return this odd PC (prebuilt?), you could simply upgrade the GPU and PSU and review the performance changes. It's better to have one well-configured PCs rather than two mostly similar poorly-configured ones.

Jun 6, 2022
Just to update you guys, it's working great now, even in ultra settings its maxing fps most of the time (165 fps max by monitor). The problem was, in bios it was set to Power Saving Mode, switching to Performance mode fixed the problem. And ironically, with this build, still the GPU is bottleneck, as its hitting 100 %, playing pubg, while cpu is ~50%. Thanks for all for answer and insights.
can't you simply return the new one
Sorry to "bewilder" you with all this confusion, but you are right its weird setup. My goal was not to build new upgraded pc, but make use of my existing spare cpu to build similar or better build. And I was confused why it was slow from old pc despite most of the parts are being superior.
I couldn't return to the shop, as most of the parts I bought it separately, and its not in US, so hardly they will take it back.
Thanks again kind starngers!