My new pc sometimes shutdown and then restart itself.

tangocharlie123

Reputable
Jun 12, 2015
Case 1 - It sometimes shutdown and then restart itself.

Case 2 - It sometimes shutdown but then don't restart until I keep the power button pressed for sometimes 5-6 sec or sometimes more than 15+ secs.

Please help !

Config -

CPU: i5 4690k
RAM: Corsair 1600 mhz (4gb*2)
GPU: nvidia gtx 960 2GB
MOBO: Assu z97 A
PSU: Corsair vs 650w
HDD: Samsung 250gb ssd

Please help !

NOTE - The only old component I used from my old pc is CMOS battery.

Thanks in advance.

tangocharlie123

Reputable
Jun 12, 2015

Thanks for quick reply mate.

I accidentally lost the new one while assembling the pc. So I used the one from my old pc. Should I buy the new one ?

I already checked the manual and got the idea what every light is for. All lights are working good on MOBO.

The issues I'm getting are -

1) PC starts but then suddenly sometimes switch off itself and then restarts.
2) Pc starts but then suddenly sometime an hour and sometimes in a min or two shutdown itself and the wouldn't start until I keep the power button pressed for around 5-6 sec and sometime around 15-20 secs.
3) same as the above but this time it wouldn't start if I keep the power button pressed for 1 min. In this case the power button on cooler master cabinet will blink sometimes.

yremogtnom

Honorable
Dec 19, 2013
The battery wouldn't/shouldn't cause a reboot...
If the computer has to update the date and time at boot, the battery's dead - they're $5 at most in most stores... but that shouldn't be the cause of the reboot.

Is it shutting down, or just turning off?

Ah - Question - if this is a new machine, do you have Windows Update turned on? Automatic updates? And is it set to restart automatically when installing said updates? Something might not be shutting down completely ....

That's the first thing I thought of for a new machine that's easy to track down and fix...
If that's not it, check the event log and see if it is noting what's causing the reboot (BSOD?)

If you don't see anything there, start simple, check connections, make sure everything's seated right, etc. Loose RAM can do that... bad PSU can do that... because it wants you to turn it *OFF* before it turns back *ON*, kind of like a circuit breaker ... you have to flip it to OFF before ON to reset the breaker.