My new PC upgrade will not detect my graphics card! What have I missed? Please help.

Dreadnoght

Prominent
May 27, 2017
First my system:
CPU: i7-2600 Sandy Bridge. Socket LGA1155
Motherboard: Gigabyte B75M-D3H
Graphics card: Geforce GTX 1060 6gb – also Gigabyte
SSD Hard drive – Windows 10
1600mhz DDR3 16gb

Problem:
Really frustrating, I have upgraded my system replacing everything except my Power Supply and CPU, my Power Supply is 750w and CPU, 2nd Generation i7-2600 Sandy Bridge. I put it all together except my graphics card and installed windows 10, all seemed ok until I installed my Graphics card. My PC will not detect it? On my first attempt nothing! Not even the ability to see my BIOS, yet it powers up at first with both fans spinning however they cut out after a couple of seconds. On board graphics are working to access my BIOS.

What have I tried?
I have tried just about every setting in my BIOS and looked into BIOS update however (b75md3h.f11) is the latest update which is already installed.

I have installed 2 different graphic cards into my system that could be detected, older PCIe 2.0 models.

I have installed my new graphic card into another computer and it worked right away (It runs an 1150 i5 444SO 0.3 PCIe supported).

I am frustrated, the only thing I can think of is the 2nd Generation i7-2600 CPU is blocking the new 1060 PCIe 3.0 graphics card. My mother board is supportive of PCIe 0.3 however I looked at the motherboard requirements and is reads whether PCIe is supported depends on CPU and graphics capabilities. It also states for RAM 1600 support Intel 22nm (Ivy Bridge) is needed. The RAM just gets knocked back to 1333mhz but no graphics! Everyone is saying it should be knocked back to PCIe 2.0 speeds but could this be the reason for a Graphics black out? Will an upgrade to 3 gen (Ivy Bridge) CPU help? Intel lists my current i7-2600 Sandy Bridge as not PCIe 3.0 supportive. Please help.

Solution
Set GPU priority in BIOS to integrated first. Install 1060, connect monitor to motherboard and boot. Once in Windows, check Device Manager if 1060 appears there (so you should have 2 GPU at this point). If it's there, try to install drivers. If it's not there, then for some reason your board cannot see that card.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
The card should work on any PCIe version, so 2.0 isn't going to be the issue. It has to be something specific to your machine. I have a gtx 1060 working fine on a i5-2400 system from that same era. If fact, I have a whole slew of old machines that the card works fine on. Many older than yours.

It could just be that you got a lemon of a card. Have you been able to test the gtx 1060 on another machine?

Set GPU priority in BIOS to integrated first. Install 1060, connect monitor to motherboard and boot. Once in Windows, check Device Manager if 1060 appears there (so you should have 2 GPU at this point). If it's there, try to install drivers. If it's not there, then for some reason your board cannot see that card.

Solution

Dreadnoght

Prominent
May 27, 2017

Thanks, at least I now know this card can function from my chip set era. Yes I have put the card into my other PC that runs an i5 444SO, all happy days there! It also has a weaker power supply so can't be a power supply problem also. It just doesn't seem to like my main computer. I'm starting to think it's just one of those cases where the card and motherboard had a bad marriage breakdown in a previous life!

Thanks for you feed back, it has helped me.

Dreadnoght

Prominent
May 27, 2017

Thanks for your reply, I will try your solution ASAP however I'm out the door and off to work currently. I'm quite sure I have tried this but not 100% sure. I will do it in the exact order you have suggested and reply letting you know how it turned out.

TRENDING THREADS