John Doe 1337

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2009
Just taking a quick poll of which system would be the best for me. Cost - Performance - Future Upgrade

AMD X II 940
Asus M4A79
OCZ DDR2 Dual Channel

$638.97

Intel Q9450
Asus P6T Version 2
OCZ DDR3 Dual Channel

$682.97

Cost wise only a $41.00 difference, performance wise almost equal swapping scores, future wise both are equal. Four things I do on my computer at the same time Gaming/Downloading/Surfing/Watching Movies. Multi-task yes I do lol, which combo would you guys go for?

xthekidx

Splendid
Dec 24, 2008
That second build doesn't work. You are using a 775 chip on 1366 platform. You have to use an i7 920, $289.

Going with the PII will give you more bang for your buck, but the i7 is a better system and will last longer and not need an upgrade as soon as the PII. It depends on whether or not you want to spend the money now and upgrade later and have the best platform available, or spend less now and have to upgrade sooner, and have a decent system now. Personally I go for the i7, if you can afford it, however either build would suit your needs just fine, you probably won't see much of a difference between either one in real world performance looking at the things you do. The things that the i7 really excels at you don't seem to do.

John Doe 1337

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2009
Thanks for the response but unfortunately Newegg doesnt deliver to Canada or else I would consider that deal. Since you have an i7 920 do you do  a lot of multi-tasking? How well does it perform say if you where playing a game and doing something else very demanding on the cpu? Any hick ups?

xthekidx

Splendid
Dec 24, 2008
My fiance is an AV nerd and likes to make movies, so she is really the one who uses my rig to its full potential, my uses would be satisfied with an E8500. But yes in video editing and rendering tasks its extraordinarily fast. I have not been able to max out the CPU yet, I think I got it to 50% load once under normal use...The i7 is a super CPU, but its really not necessary. Most people wouln't be able to max out a Q9550 quad at 100% usage even under heavy multitasking. The only time my CPU has been 100% loaded was under prime95. Once I got a stable overclock I haven't had any issues.

John Doe 1337

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2009
One last question for you xthekidx...I noticed the P6T can handle up to 12gb of ddr3 ram. Now is there anyway to get windows xp pro to recognize the 12gb or even 6gb? I ask this because I hate vista with a passion and I read about win xp-64 not being compatible with a lot of my programs I use. Any ideas?

xthekidx

Splendid
Dec 24, 2008
Only way to get more than 4gb of system ram is by using a 64bit OS, If you get Windows XP Pro 64bit it will work, otherwise you need vista 64bit. There is a lot more support for Vista 64 than XP 64, so if you want a 64bit OS then that is what I would do. Is there any reason you hate Vista so much? It is a very solid OS with SP1 and I have absolutely no complaints using it, I have had no compatability issues at all.

+1

I hope you're not avoiding Vista because you "heard" it sucked. I also use 64-bit Vista and have never had stability or compatibility issues.

http://www.newegg.ca/ <--- newegg Canada

John Doe 1337

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2009
Thanks Why_Me I recently found that newegg has a canada site now lol I was so happy to see it now I get PC parts even cheaper from my local store because they price match and beat by 10%.

The_kid well I used a really early version of vista where nothing had drivers for it yet...is vista more of a mem hog then xp? I just can stand that it always asks for permission to do something.

Vista's not the same with the SP1 pack...it's been fixed. And to fix that permisison thing, just turn off your UAC ..UAE...something like that...I can never remember...but anyways it stops it from asking you permission.

xthekidx

Splendid
Dec 24, 2008
The permission thing is so you don't download and install a browser worm or something like that. If you do by accident, you get a chance to stop it from infiltrating your system.