[SOLVED] My new psu buzzes when idle and smells weird

Sep 23, 2021
Hi everyone, this is my first post here. I need your opinions about the problem that I had with my psu. My old psu was working so loud and it doesn't has an 80 plus certificate so I decided to buy new one. Last week I bought a Corsair RM650X 2021 and mounted it to my case. At the first I only noticed the smell but then I realize the noise at idle state. My pc has very low specs so it consumes 20-25 watts idle.

I am wondering is that buzzing noise a real problem?

Is there any risk to use it?

Should I replace it?

Thanks in advance.

Solution
I agree with you about the smell.

I never try 850w unit on this system but now it supplies power for r5 2600 and rtx 2060 and works perfectly quite. So it doesn't buzzes.

I was just wondering, can that noise increase or cause any other problems in the future? Is that problem worth to RMA it?
I think that without me actually hearing it.....I can't say.
Pretty much all power supplies have some soft of hum.
Sometimes you also get coil whine......which generally is harmless but can be annoying.
It may also be something that's just a bit loose.....that rattles.
Check to see that the PSU is mounted tight in the case.
It also could be a fan that might just be nicking something....or it could be a bad fan bearing.
What's it smell like? Does it smell burnt?

I run two Corsair RMx units and I don't hear either one buzz.....however my hearing isn't that good.

....and being your PC only consumes only 20-25 watts at idle.....I wouldn't be surprised if you noticed a buzz and I didn't......because I have lots of fans going.

If it's a quiet buzz....it may be normal.....and maybe most people with lots of fans going don't notice it?

Sep 23, 2021
What's it smell like? Does it smell burnt?

I run two Corsair RMx units and I don't hear either one buzz.....however my hearing isn't that good.

....and being your PC only consumes only 20-25 watts at idle.....I wouldn't be surprised if you noticed a buzz and I didn't......because I have lots of fans going.

If it's a quiet buzz....it may be normal.....and maybe most people with lots of fans going don't notice it?
Firstly, thank you for your quick reply.

No, it doesn't smell like burnt maybe plastic smell. I expected that smell would be end after several hours but it didn't. It only happens for a few minutes after I start the computer.

I'm not sure about this buzzing noise whether a problem or not. But it is definetely noticeable.

I got another Corsair Rmx(850w 2021 edition) on my master system(r5 2600/rtx 2060) which consumes much more energy than this new one and I don't have any issue like this. Thats why I have suspended from low wattage.

I have captured a video to show the problem.
View: https://youtu.be/iqOT5ncm_cQ

I think most likely the smell isn't something to be concerned about.
It may just be due to the newness and the heat.

So the RMx 850 doesn't have the buzz?

Unfortunately it's really hard for me to get a good idea of the buzz from the audio.
My hearing sucks, I'm at work and I have crappy speakers.

Sep 23, 2021
I think most likely the smell isn't something to be concerned about.
It may just be due to the newness and the heat.

So the RMx 850 doesn't have the buzz?

Unfortunately it's really hard for me to get a good idea of the buzz from the audio.
My hearing sucks, I'm at work and I have crappy speakers.

I never try 850w unit on this system but now it supplies power for r5 2600 and rtx 2060 and works perfectly quite. So it doesn't buzzes.

I was just wondering, can that noise increase or cause any other problems in the future? Is that problem worth to RMA it?

Sometimes you also get coil whine......which generally is harmless but can be annoying.
It also could be a fan that might just be nicking something....or it could be a bad fan bearing.

Solution
Sep 23, 2021

Hi again, I've tested the psu on my other system and it worked without any issue.

So I can clearly say that reason of the buzzing sound is low wattage on idle state.

If anyone read this due to solve buzzing issue should test psu on another system.

My psu is completely fine but it makes buzzing noise when very low load(15-20w outlet) which is so acceptable.

So there was no problem at all. Anyway thank you mate for replying and helping me.

Hi again, I've tested the psu on my other system and it worked without any issue.

So I can clearly say that reason of the buzzing sound is low wattage on idle state.

If anyone read this due to solve buzzing issue should test psu on another system.

My psu is completely fine but it makes buzzing noise when very low load(15-20w outlet) which is so acceptable.

So there was no problem at all. Anyway thank you mate for replying and helping me.
You're welcome and good to know.