[SOLVED] My new psu is making a slight noice when my pc is off

dimitris79gr

Honorable
May 8, 2016
Ok so here is my story. 3 weeks ago i got a new PSU (the cx550m) installed it and it failed after about a week of usage. After it failed i noticed that it was making a very slight noice when i put my ear right next to it and when it was off. So i RMA'd it. Corsair sent me a new one 4 days ago and it has been working fine. But the new one i got is also making that noice (its very subtle i have to put my ear next to it to hear it) Is this something i should be worried about?

Solution
What you're hearing is called capacitor whine. It's not an indication of any problem, but if it gets too loud send it back. Even when the system is off, a small amount of power is flowing through the power supply and the motherboard.
The new unit making the same noise is probably coincidence. I am quite sensitive to high pitch sounds and I can tell you just about everything in the electronics universe from fridges to computers can make that noise and it has no effect on operation.

Starcruiser

Honorable
What you're hearing is called capacitor whine. It's not an indication of any problem, but if it gets too loud send it back. Even when the system is off, a small amount of power is flowing through the power supply and the motherboard.
The new unit making the same noise is probably coincidence. I am quite sensitive to high pitch sounds and I can tell you just about everything in the electronics universe from fridges to computers can make that noise and it has no effect on operation.

Reactions: dimitris79gr
Solution

dimitris79gr

Honorable
May 8, 2016
yep i know that some power is still being used (for the ethernet port, usb devices etc) but the old old one i had didnt make any sound thats why i was a little big confused :) anyways im marking that as the best answer already :)