[SOLVED] My New PSU's and CPU's Fan Spins After Switching It On

madartzgraphics

Reputable
Jun 29, 2019
I came back from a disastrous generic PSU failure which blew up while I successfully paper clip test it. (Because my PC won't turn on and I was suspecting a bad motherboard and PSU, which turned out to be PSU not the mobo) Bought a new true rated black and braided power supply so i'm very new to this.

Question: Is it normal for my PSU fan and CPU fan to spin after switching it on? My CPU fan isn't like that before or I have connected the wrong front panel switches to wrong place?

Also, my new monitor has static wavy horizontal lines now, unlike before the PSU failed and cause a disastrous corruption on my PC.

Everything's working fine now aside from that static wavy lines and unusual fan behaviour which spins right after I switch on my PSU.

Solution
With the new PSU. Everything is working perfect aside from the occassional shutdown, no boot and static wavy lines on my screen. I'm using it currently to post this reply.
That sounds to me like either a GPU faulting or a poor quality PSU.

Unfortunately you've replaced a bad PSU with another bad one. Bad quality PSUs are renowened for not distributing power correctly. Doesn't matter if you only pull a small amount of power, the PSU still has to distribute it.

Regardless, I would replace your PSU ASAP with a good quality unit.
If the previous PSU was faulty, there still is every possibility that it has damaged other components. I am guessing that you had a reason to test it in the first place?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Bought a new true rated black and braided power supply so i'm very new to this.
What exact make and model PSU did you buy?

PSU and CPU fan spins are perfectly normal. CPU fan should spin immediately. PSU fan should unless it runs hybris fan control (which only really top end do - mostly Seasonic).

Did the PSU blow whilst it was plugged into other components? If it was a cheap PSU, there's no guarantees it didn't blow other components with it.

madartzgraphics

Reputable
Jun 29, 2019
What exact make and model PSU did you buy?

PSU and CPU fan spins are perfectly normal. CPU fan should spin immediately. PSU fan should unless it runs hybris fan control (which only really top end do - mostly Seasonic).

Did the PSU blow whilst it was plugged into other components? If it was a cheap PSU, there's no guarantees it didn't blow other components with it.

1. True 450 v2.3 EK. China made I guess.
  2. Nope. I separated the PSU with just a LED fan connected to it. Tried to paper clip test it on the right green black pin and it worked for 1 minute and blowing up without a sound after that minute.
  3. With the new PSU. Everything is working perfect aside from the occassional shutdown, no boot and static wavy lines on my screen. I'm using it currently to post this reply.
Do these mean the PSU supplies an unstable power? But I have a low power setup.

Athlon ii x2 255
Minimal fan
1 HDD
GT220
Asustek asus m4n68t-m le v2 mobo
True 450 v2.3 EK PSU (450w)

By the way, when I said "unusual fan behaviour" that means, CPU and PSU fan spins right after I switch on the PSU.. not the front panel switch.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
With the new PSU. Everything is working perfect aside from the occassional shutdown, no boot and static wavy lines on my screen. I'm using it currently to post this reply.

Unfortunately you've replaced a bad PSU with another bad one. Bad quality PSUs are renowened for not distributing power correctly. Doesn't matter if you only pull a small amount of power, the PSU still has to distribute it.

If the previous PSU was faulty, there still is every possibility that it has damaged other components. I am guessing that you had a reason to test it in the first place?

Reactions: madartzgraphics
Solution

madartzgraphics

Reputable
Jun 29, 2019

Well found out the culprit. Looks like the true rated PSU I've bought from our local shop here where busted and supplying unstable power like my first one that got fried. It's leaking power everywhere of my chasis to the point you can get shocked from under the monitor to the front panel casing to back. It was leaking power everywhere. Getting shocked 3 times in a row isn't normal.

The monitor was static. I suspected the GPU is getting insufficient power from PSU and it was true. Brought it back to the shop for replacement and it was confirmed not booting their machine. Told them the PSU triggered my Asus Anti Surge Protection (mobo) pointing the power supply.

It also make our whole household power flicker when plugged and switched on.

CURRENT STATUS: No more static monitor, electric shock, fan spins normal again, no more auto-boot, etc. No further damaged was inflicted by the previous busted PSUs.

Thanks for the help :) I really appreciate it.

Last edited: