[SOLVED] My new R7 2700x is under preforming by alot

jaydenmeyer829

Reputable
Oct 22, 2017
I have had a Ryzen R5 1600 for 1.5 years and when I first got it I overclocked it to 3.8ghz and scored 1214 in Cinebench, now I decided time to upgrade, so I got the Ryzen R7 2700x, I updated my BIOS to handle the new generation and I also got a AIO cooler (NZXT Kraken M22 specifically) because I wanted something nice for it even though the stock cooler is an already good cooler. Anyways getting on with my problem, I loaded up my computer and went to the BIOS and it showed everything was ok, then I went to Cinebench and my score was with this brand new CPU was a 898... yeah not good at all especially after seeing someone with a score of 1600 or something with stock settings. So I then changed the settings, went for 4ghz and a 1.3v, and I only got 991. If anyone could provide advice or something that would be great.

Solution
You do not need to delete anything to change your motherboard. I upgraded from a cheap B350 board to a nicer B350 board and all of my data was safe. You should use a newer B40 or x470 motherboard with ryzen 2000. Cheaper Motherboards have trouble with faster components, such as CPU or memory. I hAD A CHEAP b350 MOBO that wouldn't work with my 3200mhz ram until i got a nicer mobo.

jaydenmeyer829

Reputable
Oct 22, 2017
also I have another problem and that is that if I leave my computer inactive for abit the computer restarts but the fans dont change to silent mode and my monitor gets no signal, I tried multiple ports and multiple display cables and its pissing me off

Jayden make another thread for this, you are more likely to get responses. To clear your CMOS look to your BIOS. Your bios might have an option hidden in some menu like my b350 board's bios does. If you cannot reset the cmos from in your bios, or your system wont power on, look in your owners manual to see if there is a CMOS jumper. According to your manual, "CLRMOS1 allows you to clear the data in CMOS. To clear and reset the system
parameters to default setup, please turn off the computer and unplug the power
cord from the power supply. After waiting for 15 seconds, use a jumper cap (or anything electrically conductive like a paperclip or screwdriver) to
short pin2 and pin3 on CLRMOS1 for 5 seconds. However, please do not clear the
CMOS right after you update the BIOS. If you need to clear the CMOS when you
just finish updating the BIOS, you must boot up the system first, and then shut it
down before you do the clear-CMOS action. Please be noted that the password,
date, time, and user default profile will be cleared only if the CMOS battery is
removed.

jaydenmeyer829

Reputable
Oct 22, 2017

I took the jumpers, put it on the other pins, then put it back where it was, plugged my graphics card in, and now it's just a black screen, my keyboard and mouse dont light up but my fans go fast, then slow for abit, then fast again and it stays like that, I cant get into the bios or anything

I have never heard of that before. You could try it again.
Make sure you did it as per the manual
"CLRMOS1 allows you to clear the data in CMOS. To clear and reset the system
parameters to default setup, please turn off the computer and unplug the power
cord from the power supply. After waiting for 15 seconds, use a jumper cap to
short pin2 and pin3 on CLRMOS1 for 5 seconds. However, please do not clear the
CMOS right after you update the BIOS. If you need to clear the CMOS when you
just finish updating the BIOS, you must boot up the system first, and then shut it
down before you do the clear-CMOS action. Please be noted that the password,
date, time, and user default profile will be cleared only if the CMOS battery is
removed."

jaydenmeyer829

Reputable
Oct 22, 2017

I run the computer with it covering the reset pins, I run it with the regular two pins, I have the power supply on and off and nothing, all that has happened is my bios is not available for me to use

jaydenmeyer829

Reputable
Oct 22, 2017

Yes but the problem is that I have no thermal paste except for what came on my aio cooler so I cant change it

I actually have that same board no problems over a year (putting it together now as a system for my wife's office). I also have the full size version with a 1700x, no issues with that either.

As far as thermal paste, do you have a best buy or aching or anything near you? They should have something for a few bucks. If not, I paid about 6 dollars for Arctic silver 5 on eBay.

What power supply are you running in this system? That's one of the first questions. The other question is if the bios was updated before the 2700x was installed.

I may be wrong, but as far as power delivery, if these boards can handle a 1700x(just used on a ASRock b350 pro 4, not on the m version, even though I have both in the house), but if they can handle a 1700x, that can't be much different than the 2700x power wise.

Depending what power supply you have, sounds like perhaps it wants a bios update. I didn't see any being mention of that being done, and if you've had it 1.5 years, you basically got it at launch, so the board wouldn't be able to support the 2700x without an update.

I may be asking a dumb question, but I'm assuming you are plugging the video output into a graphics card?

jaydenmeyer829

Reputable
Oct 22, 2017

The card is plugged in, I recently got the Corsair 750x gold which was a pretty big upgrade from my original EVGA 500w bronze and I got the most recent bios update a month or so ago, also i have a best buy near but I am trying to do everything I can before needing to go out and get new thermal paste

Ah, must have not seen that. The question then is if the old cpu will work in it. If so, maybe he can return it and try a 1700x as it's not much slower than the 2700x. Or in a few months, the 3000 series should land.

If replacing the board, I think you can get those ASRock boards for around 60 bucks. That's what I paid for mine at microcenter.

jaydenmeyer829

Reputable
Oct 22, 2017

Only issue with replacing the board is I heard you need to delete windows meaning you need to format the windows drive so I would need to back up all my mods, games, and programs onto my other hard drive and format it

You do not need to delete anything to change your motherboard. I upgraded from a cheap B350 board to a nicer B350 board and all of my data was safe. You should use a newer B40 or x470 motherboard with ryzen 2000. Cheaper Motherboards have trouble with faster components, such as CPU or memory. I hAD A CHEAP b350 MOBO that wouldn't work with my 3200mhz ram until i got a nicer mobo.

Solution

jaydenmeyer829

Reputable
Oct 22, 2017

I heard it will recognize that new motherboard as a different computer so windows would need to be reinstalled