Question Why is my new rig dying on me ?

droreni

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2012
Hello everyone,
I have a new assembled system that started all of a sudden crashing and going to BSOD'S.
I have started a post under "software" since I don't know where it belongs, and started a diagnostic process with the help of a very nice and knowledgeable member though we are kinda stuck.
This is the original post and his interpretation of it-

can someone please help me just that I at least find out what part is damaged, since I bought the pieces online in Korea, and it will be very hard to return them, so I at least need to know which one should I try to return..

Thank you.

droreni

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2012
Which BIOS version are you running now?
How hot is your rig getting? mainly CPU and GPU

check the CPU socket pins on the motherboard, if bent or discolored
I updated my BIOS to the latest one - E7D30IMS.AB0.
I will check the cpu for damage when I'll get home..

droreni

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2012
I upload to my drive pictures of the socket and cpu. And some of the BSODs I had, but it's definitely not all, I also had msgs like: "kernel security check failed", "system service exception", "system thread exception not handled", "KMOD exception not handled", "critical process end", and maybe I missed some..

This is the link:

Please help me.

droreni

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2012
Hi, is there anyone with the knowledge to help me find an approach for diagnosing the problem? I am totally frustrated and clueless about how to continue from here..
Or if again I am posting on the wrong place can someone direct me to where is the right place for this type of problem.
Greatly appreciate any help,
Thanks.

sitehostplus

Honorable
Jan 6, 2018
If none of the above helps, get a copy of 'who crashed'. It's a utility that reads the windows dump filed produced when windows crashes and translates it into plain english with hyperlinks so you know exactly what happened and can get an idea on how to fix it.

Reactions: droreni

droreni

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2012
If none of the above helps, get a copy of 'who crashed'. It's a utility that reads the windows dump filed produced when windows crashes and translates it into plain english with hyperlinks so you know exactly what happened and can get an idea on how to fix it.
My problem is that I cannot reach any successful boot, so not reaching windows to be able to install and run the program.. the closest I get to have some kind of boot is sometimes it manages not to crash and reboot on safe mode boot, and then I can't install or uninstall any programs.
Tried also to boot from a bootable windows USB (to reinstall windows) but freezes a few seconds after beginning of installation.
Clueless..

droreni

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2012
Here's some more for you:

This just says to update drivers. Mine are up to date, and even of there are some that are not (don't think that there are) I cannot login to windows in order to update them

droreni

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2012
Edit:
So nothing suggested helped, and it seems that people ran out of ideas.
I was sure the RAM was the issue though it passed 2 test (memtes and windows memory diagnostic tool) without and errors.
And then I remembered that I saw in HWinfo that on idle the cpu spends most of the time on max clock speeds, without affecting the temp., and I thought-this is weird.
After being frustrated and almost giving up I thought maybe the maxed cpu is the problem and decided to limit its base clock speed to 70%, and walla, system boots, I'm in windows, no BSODS.
So I guess it's safe to say that it's the cpu which is damaged..

Anyone any thoughts? Is my conclusion correct? Or am I missing something?

Thanks for all the efforts trying to help!

sitehostplus

Honorable
Jan 6, 2018
Edit:
So nothing suggested helped, and it seems that people ran out of ideas.
I was sure the RAM was the issue though it passed 2 test (memtes and windows memory diagnostic tool) without and errors.
And then I remembered that I saw in HWinfo that on idle the cpu spends most of the time on max clock speeds, without affecting the temp., and I thought-this is weird.
After being frustrated and almost giving up I thought maybe the maxed cpu is the problem and decided to limit its base clock speed to 70%, and walla, system boots, I'm in windows, no BSODS.
So I guess it's safe to say that it's the cpu which is damaged..

Anyone any thoughts? Is my conclusion correct? Or am I missing something?

Thanks for all the efforts trying to help!
Could be the CPU, could be the motherboard too.

I'd RMA the CPU first, and see what happens.

droreni

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2012
Could be the CPU, could be the motherboard too.

I'd RMA the CPU first, and see what happens.
Is there a way to figure out which one is it? I have to go to the store were i bought it and see what they would say, should i take the whole computer there or possible to take just the cpu? cause taking all is very complicated.. and most importantly - how can I proove the problem AND that I didn't cause it?
Taking the Mobo is harder since I bought it online..

thanks

sitehostplus

Honorable
Jan 6, 2018
Is there a way to figure out which one is it? I have to go to the store were i bought it and see what they would say, should i take the whole computer there or possible to take just the cpu? cause taking all is very complicated.. and most importantly - how can I proove the problem AND that I didn't cause it?
Taking the Mobo is harder since I bought it online..

thanks

The only real way to figure out which one is to swap one at a time and see if the problem goes away.

As far as whether you caused it or not? Just how would you prove such a thing one way or the other?

And yes, you should start with the CPU. Just take it out, take it to them and tell them it's bad and swap it. As long as you kept the original packaging and receipt, and it's still within their return window, it should be no problem. Otherwise, you'll have to deal with the manufacturer.

If that does not fix the problem, you need to RMA the motherboard next (and you have my condolences since I know that will be a pain).

Good luck. 🤗

droreni

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2012
The only real way to figure out which one is to swap one at a time and see if the problem goes away.

As far as whether you caused it or not? Just how would you prove such a thing one way or the other?

And yes, you should start with the CPU. Just take it out, take it to them and tell them it's bad and swap it. As long as you kept the original packaging and receipt, and it's still within their return window, it should be no problem. Otherwise, you'll have to deal with the manufacturer.

If that does not fix the problem, you need to RMA the motherboard next (and you have my condolences since I know that will be a pain).

Good luck. 🤗
Thank you very much.
I will start with the cpu then, as you suggest. I will probably have time to get there only in a week or so. I will post how did it go.

droreni

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2012

Good luck. 🤗
Hi again,

So I took the CPU to the shop i bought it and he sent me to intel's service center, luckuly was 10 min. walk from there. they asked for the problem, checked it for 2 min. and gave me a new CPU instead, realizing this one is bad.
So now my computer boots, I can play, so far seems ok, just that sometimes I still see some bugs, like mouse stutterer for a few seconds, but it doesn't happen often.
what should I do now in order to test my system to see that it was actually the cpu and not the Mobo that killed the CPU?
Another question - is it ok that the CPU runs at maximum clock speed even when idle and HWinfo shows only a few % of CPU utility? the temps remain low. i can upload a hwinfo logging file if there is someone willing to look at it and see that it's ok..

Thank you!

May 1, 2023
Hi again,

So I took the CPU to the shop i bought it and he sent me to intel's service center, luckuly was 10 min. walk from there. they asked for the problem, checked it for 2 min. and gave me a new CPU instead, realizing this one is bad.
So now my computer boots, I can play, so far seems ok, just that sometimes I still see some bugs, like mouse stutterer for a few seconds, but it doesn't happen often.
what should I do now in order to test my system to see that it was actually the cpu and not the Mobo that killed the CPU?
Another question - is it ok that the CPU runs at maximum clock speed even when idle and HWinfo shows only a few % of CPU utility? the temps remain low. i can upload a hwinfo logging file if there is someone willing to look at it and see that it's ok..

Thank you!
I can’t speak for your primary issue or whether or not your motherboard is potentially at fault

but as for your clocks being at full speed, do you have High Performance set in your Power Plan? you can check from Control Panel > System and Security > Power Options

if it’s set to High Performance, you can switch it to Balance and see if your clocks go down. I think it’s because High sets your Minimum Processor Power to 100% or smth, my friend has max clocks all the time because of this

droreni

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2012
I can’t speak for your primary issue or whether or not your motherboard is potentially at fault

but as for your clocks being at full speed, do you have High Performance set in your Power Plan? you can check from Control Panel > System and Security > Power Options

if it’s set to High Performance, you can switch it to Balance and see if your clocks go down. I think it’s because High sets your Minimum Processor Power to 100% or smth, my friend has max clocks all the time because of this
Thank you for your reply,
I actually heard about this before so I made sure that it was always on balanced performance not high.. and still..

May 1, 2023
Thank you for your reply,
I actually heard about this before so I made sure that it was always on balanced performance not high.. and still..
you also have up-to-date Chipset drivers, right? I can't read all the steps you've gone through right now but I did see you already tried updating your Bios

have you installed the latest Chipsets as well? sorry if you have, it's just all I can think of other than RMAing/replacing your motherboard, which seems like an absolute pain

edit: if you have already installed them, you can always try reinstalling them. Control Panel > Apps/Programs > uninstall the chipsets > reboot pc > head to AMD website > find your motherboard > reinstall the chipsets > reboot (yknow, the usual routine)

droreni

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2012
you also have up-to-date Chipset drivers, right? I can't read all the steps you've gone through right now but I did see you already tried updating your Bios

have you installed the latest Chipsets as well? sorry if you have, it's just all I can think of other than RMAing/replacing your motherboard, which seems like an absolute pain

edit: if you have already installed them, you can always try reinstalling them. Control Panel > Apps/Programs > uninstall the chipsets > reboot pc > head to AMD website > find your motherboard > reinstall the chipsets > reboot (yknow, the usual routine)
Yes, you're right, I already did update it, but I am definitely willing to uninstall and reinstall it again, maybe some magic will happen (for me it's magic as I don't understand the logic behind it..)

sitehostplus

Honorable
Jan 6, 2018
Hi again,

Thank you!
Open task manager and find out what is hogging the cpu.

Do you know how to do that?

droreni

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2012
Open task manager and find out what is hogging the cpu.

Do you know how to do that?
Yes, I do. I will check that as well. Though, according to HWinfo the cpu utility is low, and also the temperatures are quite good..

Edit: cpu usage by task manager is also low- 2%.
It's not all the time 100% clock speed, only spikes there for 2 seconds and back, and again after few seconds, and back, like that all the time.
Now I undervolted it 0.01, not much, and it didn't affect it anyway, as it shouldn't I guess. Temps around 30°C.

Last edited:

sitehostplus

Honorable
Jan 6, 2018
Yes, I do. I will check that as well. Though, according to HWinfo the cpu utility is low, and also the temperatures are quite good..

Edit: cpu usage by task manager is also low- 2%.
It's not all the time 100% clock speed, only spikes there for 2 seconds and back, and again after few seconds, and back, like that all the time.
Now I undervolted it 0.01, not much, and it didn't affect it anyway, as it shouldn't I guess. Temps around 30°C.
You are going to need to watch the task manager. The times when your clock speed spikes are when the rogue program is hogging all of the CPU.

When you find out which program it is, right click on it in task manager, select 'end task' task to temporarily kill it. To permanently kill it, research on google and figure out what it's part of and uninstall the app it's a part of.

It's tedious, but necessary if you want this to stop.

droreni

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2012
You are going to need to watch the task manager. The times when your clock speed spikes are when the rogue program is hogging all of the CPU.

When you find out which program it is, right click on it in task manager, select 'end task' task to temporarily kill it. To permanently kill it, research on google and figure out what it's part of and uninstall the app it's a part of.

It's tedious, but necessary if you want this to stop.
But I was looking at it, and even when the cpu clock spikes the task manager shows 2-3% usage, I didn't see any program that hoggs the cpu..

sitehostplus

Honorable
Jan 6, 2018
But I was looking at it, and even when the cpu clock spikes the task manager shows 2-3% usage, I didn't see any program that hoggs the cpu..
Don't pay attention to that. Just look and see which program is at the top of the list.

End that task and see if the problem goes away. I'm betting it does.

TRENDING THREADS