DDR3 16 GBytes (4x4)
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
120 GB SSD for OS
3 TB HDD for storage
750 GB hdd for music + some games
500 GB external for backups
Powered by Thermaltake TR2 600W

History:
The PC was built a few years back and I've upgraded the graphics card from whatever it was initially to a GTX 960. I was getting some FPS drop while playing Sekiro so I upgraded to an RTX 2060 today.

I uninstalled my previous GPU drivers using DDU and installed the new ones using Geforce. After everything was installed, rebooted, etc. I started up and noticed my headphone jack not recognizing my speakers. I switched to the speaker jack in the back of the PC and it recognized. I also noticed clicking on playback devices was super slow and I had to click it multiple times for it to register. The internet is also slow now. I ran a speedtest and had ~16Mbs upload and download. I started up Sekiro and it was extremely laggy and unplayable. I tried Witcher 3 which I could previously play on medium settings with the GTX 960 and it was also super slow/laggy.

I uninstalled the Geforce using DDU, rebooted, and installed just the RTX 2060 drivers. It seems marginally better but still ridiculously slow.

I checked the PSU connection to the GPU and it's seated correctly and fully connected.

I've researched for a solution and it seems like other people have had this problem with different GPUs but the threads didn't have a solution.

What troubleshooting steps can I take next?

Solution
You've got to check Temperatures
Also if you download Hard Disk Sentinel it would let you know if you have hard disk problem.

I am currently using i7-2600k @4.4 with a 2060 and nothing is slowing me down.
16GB ram and SSD boot drive.
Mar 30, 2019
I think I narrowed down the problem. I tried playing a low-demand game called Gemcraft - Chasing Shadows. It looks like my CPU usage on the Windows Task Manager is jumping up to ~90%. I knew my i5 3470 would be my bottleneck, but why would I have such a severe drop in performance for everything, even window utilities like the playback devices? Would replacing my CPU solve this or does this seem like there's another root cause?

CPU usage with just Chrome running is jumping between 1-9%

Mar 30, 2019
I used HWiNFO64 to check temperature for the CPU. It looks like CPU package is at 72 C average with minimum 69 and maximum 92 C just using Chrome.

Wow, I think that's the problem. Looks like the thermal paste needs to be cleaned and reapplied. I’m going to try that and see if that helps. It looks like the fans are all spinning so hopefully the root cause is the thermal paste.

Mar 10, 2019
If you didn't have that problem before and you just have it now just for changing the 2060 doesn't make sense, you probably touched the CPU-heatsink and moved it.

Mar 30, 2019
I cleaned the old thermal paste off the CPU, installed a new CPU heat sink (ETS N30) with new thermal paste.

My CPU package temperature is down to 34 C average with 39 C max. My cores 0-3 dropped from 64-66 C to 25-33 C.

Thank you for the help! :))

Reactions: ElectrO_90

TRENDING THREADS