Question My New RTX 3060 Ti keeps crashing my pc

Dec 28, 2020
So I just upgraded from a GTX 1060 3GB to a RTX 3060 Ti Msi VENTUS 2X and once I plugged it in, on the startup menu, the screen starts to flicker purple, crashes, then goes to safe mode.
Here is my Setup atm :

RTX 3060 Ti MSi Ventus 2X
Ryzen 5 3600
32 GB DDR4 3200MHZ
Asrock B450M Steel Legend
850 W Corsair 850X Gold Certified PSU.

PROBLEM: Every time is turn on the pc, the asrock logo and the windows logo start to glitch out and have purple lines all over the screen. Then my screen goes black and doesnt do anything else. This happens 4/5 of the time and the other 1/5 times, it loads me into my pc but crashes in th enext 1/2 minutes.

I've heard that the newest Nvidia drivers (460.89) were not optimized for the 3060 ti so i switched back to the 457.51. I removed the previous Nvidia Drivers by using DDU and removed Intel and AMD drivers for GPUs even if there aren't any.
I've also updated my bios for the motherboard to the latest version.
I've also tried fully doing a system restore but kept my personal files. That didn't work.
I made sure to not daisy chain the power configuration
Unplugged and replugged back in the monitor cables and pci express slot.

Some other weird things that I've encountered:

-When trying to switch my Monitor that has 240hz to its proper refresh rate, it is capped at 200 in the Nvidia Control pannel( again on the 457.51 drivers). I tried to set a custom refresh rate to see if my monitor could go to 240hz. By doing that, the screen went black and restarted the pc, booting me again into safe mode.

-Safe mode would boot every time i started turning on the pc(after i chose safe mode to use ddu)

MY THEORY: I think that my motherboard is the problem because I've switched the GPUs in and out and only the 1060 worked. Even though the 3060 Ti is newer hardware then the motherboard, updating the bios didnt help at all and stil had very weird lines in the middle of the screen. My PSU is 6 Months now in use and was bought new as well. There isnt any ram issues or temp issues on cpu or gpu.
Is it possible that the Asrock B450M Steel Legend has a faulty/ bad power configuration so that it just can't handle a powerful card like the 3060 Ti? If anyone knows anything to help my case, it would help out a lot!

Reactions: kam388

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
You've taken all the right steps. I would say contact MSI for a replacement card.

It could be something with the motherboard, but it wouldn't be power. MAYBE, try forcing the slot to PCIe 3.0, or even 2.0 just to see if it helps. (I know it can't technically do 4.0, but the GPU might be trying and causing issues)

Apr 28, 2021
So I just upgraded from a GTX 1060 3GB to a RTX 3060 Ti Msi VENTUS 2X and once I plugged it in, on the startup menu, the screen starts to flicker purple, crashes, then goes to safe mode.
Here is my Setup atm :

RTX 3060 Ti MSi Ventus 2X
Ryzen 5 3600
32 GB DDR4 3200MHZ
Asrock B450M Steel Legend
850 W Corsair 850X Gold Certified PSU.

PROBLEM: Every time is turn on the pc, the asrock logo and the windows logo start to glitch out and have purple lines all over the screen. Then my screen goes black and doesnt do anything else. This happens 4/5 of the time and the other 1/5 times, it loads me into my pc but crashes in th enext 1/2 minutes.

I've heard that the newest Nvidia drivers (460.89) were not optimized for the 3060 ti so i switched back to the 457.51. I removed the previous Nvidia Drivers by using DDU and removed Intel and AMD drivers for GPUs even if there aren't any.
I've also updated my bios for the motherboard to the latest version.
I've also tried fully doing a system restore but kept my personal files. That didn't work.
I made sure to not daisy chain the power configuration
Unplugged and replugged back in the monitor cables and pci express slot.

Some other weird things that I've encountered:

-When trying to switch my Monitor that has 240hz to its proper refresh rate, it is capped at 200 in the Nvidia Control pannel( again on the 457.51 drivers). I tried to set a custom refresh rate to see if my monitor could go to 240hz. By doing that, the screen went black and restarted the pc, booting me again into safe mode.

-Safe mode would boot every time i started turning on the pc(after i chose safe mode to use ddu)

MY THEORY: I think that my motherboard is the problem because I've switched the GPUs in and out and only the 1060 worked. Even though the 3060 Ti is newer hardware then the motherboard, updating the bios didnt help at all and stil had very weird lines in the middle of the screen. My PSU is 6 Months now in use and was bought new as well. There isnt any ram issues or temp issues on cpu or gpu.
Is it possible that the Asrock B450M Steel Legend has a faulty/ bad power configuration so that it just can't handle a powerful card like the 3060 Ti? If anyone knows anything to help my case, it would help out a lot!
hey mate im having the same issue and tried everything you have tried but nothing works, this happen to my 3060 but then i swapped my 3070 it started working fine, im not sure what happened. i been normally mining on both of my cards, longer on 3070 but not my rtx 3060 keep crashing my pc and shows purple lines when windows load up. if you found solution please let me know