[SOLVED] My new Ryzen 2600 consumes higher power than TDP

neo4evr

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
I just purchased a new AMD Ryzen 2600 3 days ago, whose rated TDP is 65W.
But when I ran Prime95 stress test on all cores then the processor package power as in HWMonitor displayed as somewhere between 75-80W, under full load. This is far higher than the TDP.
Is this normal? I am not so experienced about TDP and what it actually means so wanted to ask you all.
Many thanks!

Solution
prime 95 is what is known as "torture testing" it taxes the cpu with a workload that is above what you would normally do with a pc. perfectly normal to use extra power when making the cpu work well beyond normal operations.

run a game for a while and check usage. it'll go back closer to tdp. also keep in mind that part of the built in boost technology will keep overclocking the cpu as long as there is voltage and thermal headroom. this will also up the power usage and is normal as well.

so if you have decent cooling on the cpu then expect it to run faster for longer (which is a good thing) and also expect that to use a bit more power then stock.
The TDP is measured at stock speed. So in the case of your 2600, stock being 3.4ghz. When you stress your CPU, the cores will run higher than stock (most of the time) and so the power is upped.

This is normal. Nothing to worry about. I've a Ryzen 1600x with an all core OC of 3.9ghz. During normal usage, it hardly draws the 95w TDP, but when stressed or gaming it goes right up to 120w. Not unexpected.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
prime 95 is what is known as "torture testing" it taxes the cpu with a workload that is above what you would normally do with a pc. perfectly normal to use extra power when making the cpu work well beyond normal operations.

run a game for a while and check usage. it'll go back closer to tdp. also keep in mind that part of the built in boost technology will keep overclocking the cpu as long as there is voltage and thermal headroom. this will also up the power usage and is normal as well.

so if you have decent cooling on the cpu then expect it to run faster for longer (which is a good thing) and also expect that to use a bit more power then stock.

Solution

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
other little tidbit about the listed tdp. AMD tends to be closer even with overclocked numbers. Intel seems to list stock speed basic use numbers that very quickly get out of hand when overclocking and testing.

notice you're only seeing 10-15w over rated tdp. intel would easily reach 50+w at stock speeds with a torture test and even more if it is overclocked!! ryzen seems to already be pushed close to the max so it's listed numbers already represent almost all the performance you can get from the cpu. while intel holds back some performance and therefore only lists that tdp with the cpu held back some. leaving a lot more room for it to go up once you start tinkering.

Reactions: TJ Hooker