Question My new Ryzen 7700X runs hot at idle without using Eco mode ?

Barak9006

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2013
My CPU runs at 80 Celsius at idle without anything on ( 0-1% load).
Some cores run at 60+ Celsius some on 80+.
I am using Corsair Water Cooling H150 RGB 360mm which seems to work, I feel the pump vibrates. But in iCUE I dont actually see it, though I think it should be like that with this cooling.

When I switch to Eco mode it becomes stable at 50 Celsius on idle.

I know that this CPU runs hot, but I don't think it should be that high in non-eco mode ?

My CPU runs at 80 Celsius at idle without anything on ( 0-1% load).
Some cores run at 60+ Celsius some on 80+.
I am using Corsair Water Cooling H150 RGB 360mm which seems to work, I feel the pump vibrates. But in iCUE I dont actually see it, though I think it should be like that with this cooling.

When I switch to Eco mode it becomes stable at 50 Celsius on idle.

I know that this CPU runs hot, but I don't think it should be that high in non-eco mode ?
I'm guessing your AIO isn't seated correctly or if it is old perhaps you are running low on cooling solution.

Reactions: KyaraM
Ryzen 7000 CPUs are designed to run to their thermal limits first. So it'll run hotter than most people expect if left on default settings.

Download, install, and run HWiNFO and check which CPU temperature sensor (as it reads several) is matching what you're seeing. If it's Tdie/Tctl, then that's the hottest part of the CPU and not necessarily a concern if that's the one reaching 80C

Ryzen 7000 CPUs are designed to run to their thermal limits first. So it'll run hotter than most people expect if left on default settings.

Download, install, and run HWiNFO and check which CPU temperature sensor (as it reads several) is matching what you're seeing. If it's Tdie/Tctl, then that's the hottest part of the CPU and not necessarily a concern if that's the one reaching 80C
80C at idel is high no matter what and sounds like OP's cooling solution is broken or not installed correctly.

80C at idel is high no matter what and sounds like OP's cooling solution is broken or not installed correctly.
"Idle" doesn't necessarily mean it's just sitting there. Windows has plenty of housekeeping tasks to do and when it schedules them, it tends to shove it all on one core, which will then boost really hard, which will cause that core to get a jump in CPU temperature.

And as I've said many times here: Ryzen reports the CPU temperature as the hottest spot in the processor. It doesn't necessarily reflect the average processor temperature which is something one should be more worried about.

"Idle" doesn't necessarily mean it's just sitting there. Windows has plenty of housekeeping tasks to do and when it schedules them, it tends to shove it all on one core, which will then boost really hard, which will cause that core to get a jump in CPU temperature.

And as I've said many times here: Ryzen reports the CPU temperature as the hottest spot in the processor. It doesn't necessarily reflect the average processor temperature which is something one should be more worried about.
I know that idel doesn't mean nothing is happening. That said OP stated CPU usage is 0-1%. At not point in time should your CPU temp be that high at such a small load unless you have static clocks at max boost. Look at the clocks shown when your CPU is doing just background tasks. Most of the time it you will see the CPU running below the base frequency. I am 100% positive that OPs temp issue is HSF related and not with whatever you said.

Reactions: KyaraM

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Intels lower boosts/voltages on all cores and will assign different cores different tasks simultaneously, so the entire load is spread over multiple cores, temp readings being the hottest core at any given moment.

Ryzens will put all the cores inactive except 1 which carries the entire load, so temps are reflective of That load. Couple seconds later, that first core is put inactive and the next core is put online to take the load. Very visible behavior if you sit and watch HWInfo for any length of time.

So whereas Intels will only vary 1-2°C from 'idle' temp, Ryzens will generally show a higher idle temp as you see just 1 core with the full load.

But 80's is beyond norm, should be closer to 40-60° range at best. Which means there's an issue with either the install or iCue.

If it's a cooler issue, then the average temperature should be much hotter than what's expected. If it's sitting there idling at say an average 50-60 with an AIO, then sure, I'd start worrying. But if the average temperature is still floating around 30-40 (assuming an ambient temperature of around 25C), then I don't think it's anything to worry about.

The thing with hot spot temperature monitoring is:
  • The temporal resolution sucks in most monitoring tools. Just because it was reporting 80C doesn't mean it was 80C that entire time. Just 80C when the measurement was taken (there's the question of how it was taken, but that's another thing).
  • The hot spot is affecting a small part of the overall surface area of the heat spreader. Heat doesn't distribute across a surface instantly and a smaller spot means the heat can't transfer as quickly to the cooling unit.
  • I also don't really see any merit in worrying about hot spots as much when the part has been officially said that it's designed to hit a thermal limit first.
I mean, to put in another way, it'd be like if you had thermal sensors in a the cylinder of a car's engine and you started looking at that. Sure it might get up to 800C or whatever gasoline combusts at, but as long as the coolant coming out of the engine is below 100C, it's fine.

So I don't thing there's enough information about the system to really make a call if something is wrong or not.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Cooler issue.

Budget air cooler the peerless 120 is great and almost half the price of a deepcool ak620.

I love air coolers, they last a lot longer with no issues.
Be honest. When you finally get around to upgrading your pc, which is essentially getting all new parts, what are the chances you'll be dragging the old peerless 120 along? What are the chances you'll get a new cooler, a different color or bigger/more capable, or one that better fits the new case that's too slim for a 160mm tower?

Longetivity is a nice concept, but most ppl tend to scrap the old on favor of new, regardless if the old still works. Most will upgrade/replace a pc in 5-6 years±, since the old can't keep up with what's remotely close to current.

Now if you spent out initially for a Noctua NH-D14/15 or something else along those lines, you might consider keeping it, but a budget $30 cooler that's 6 yrs old? Doubtful.

sonofjesse

Distinguished
Oh sorry I didn't go into details my answer .........

personal use case..........

I usually rebuild every 2-5 years, I have quite a few friends on the hot list that will always just pay cash for my old builds. They never want to be worrying or fiddling with an AIO pump quitting. Using AIR cooleer prevents that and gives my friends confidence in buying build's.

OP use case I was commenting on.............

I think most people are better served with a 30-40 AIR cooler and save the money over an AIO, and have zero worries of pump failures and hassle down the road. Like a peerless 120 compared to this AIO would have saved him over 100 dollars (that I would rather use in other parts of the build or save the cash).

I'm just personally a big fan of AIR cooling for the AVG/Normal person. I see more issues with AIO cooling on this forum than Air coolers from the posts I read.

YMMV.

Hope you get it sorted out.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I see more issues with AIO cooling on this forum than Air coolers from the posts I read.
Ah. Lot of times you gotta read between the lines. Aio issues tend to be direct, like having high temps, iCue don't work, one tube hotter than the other etc.
Aircooler issues tend to be more about what the user has done on install, like trying to be careful not to hurt the cpu by over tightening, torquing one side down before the other resulting in ram issues, dropped it and scratched the cpu, rgb doesn't work etc. There's plenty of aircooler related issues, they just don't always start out as that though.